Philo is building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with seamless playback, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
Currently, there are over 60 channels included in our basic package. They include many popular cable networks, including A&E, Accuweather, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BET, Cheddar, ComedyCentral, CMT, Discovery Channel, Food Network, Game Show Network, Hallmark, HGTV, IFC, INSP, Lifetime, MTV, Nickelodeon, OWN, Paramount Network, Sundance, TV One, Vice and VH1. We also offer premium add-on channels from Starz and Epix. There is a lot more programming on the way.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our subscribers and our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work while supporting each other in pursuing shared goals. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. We believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to innovate faster and create the best experience for our subscribers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes a cofounder of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including Discovery, Viacom, AMC, and A&E.
The Legal Team
Philo’s Legal Team Vision Statement is: To partner with our phellow Philons, delivering practical legal and strategic business solutions that empower Philo to create the television experience everyone who loves TV has always wanted.
Philo is reinventing television, and the Legal Team touches every facet of the company’s business, including business development, programming, HR, advertising, marketing, engineering and product development and corporate matters. Philo is moving at light speed, and all its operating teams are multi-dimensional and interconnected.
Philo’s Legal Team consists of a full-time Chief Legal Officer (“CLO”) supported by several prominent law firms. We are ready to expand our in-house capabilities and reduce our reliance on outside legal resources, beginning with this search for our first counsel in our Headquarters office.
This position reports to the Chief Legal Officer (“CLO”). The principal responsibilities of the Corporate Counsel will be to assist the CLO in supporting Philo’s content acquisition and business development deal teams by reviewing, negotiating, and drafting complex commercial contracts, including network affiliation agreements, production agreements, vendor MSA’s, IO’s and SOW’s. Excellent drafting skills and strategic vision are essential to this position.
You will also assist the CLO in developing the Legal Team’s best practices, crafting standard legal document templates, and growing the Legal Team’s in-house capabilities and resources.
Extensive, relevant legal and business experience and expertise are just the ante for this position, you must be perceptive, proactive, confident (but not arrogant) and collaborative.
Last, but certainly not least, you must respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university.
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Active membership in the New York Bar.
- 5+ years of in-house counsel experience with an MVPD or vMVPD.
- A passion for the media and entertainment business and law.
- The ability to work constructively and closely with others and provide practical, business-savvy legal advice and strategy while working in a high-pressure setting.
- Exceptional communication, project management, organization, and multi-tasking skills.
- The ability to provide practical, business-savvy legal advice and strategy while working in a high-pressure setting.
- Dependable exercise of independent and sound judgment and discretion in all matters.
- The ability to work effectively with colleagues located in satellite offices or who may be working from home.
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Location: Brooklyn, NY.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team members:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family.
- Flexible working hours.
- Generous paid parental leave.
- Flexible Spending Account
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave.
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two-week vacation).
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance.
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup.
- Dog-friendly offices.
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors