Philo is building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with seamless playback, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our subscribers and our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work while supporting each other in pursuing shared goals. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. We believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to innovate faster and create the best experience for our subscribers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes a cofounder of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including Discovery, Viacom, AMC, and A&E.
About the Product team
The Product Team is responsible for designing, building, testing, and quite literally reinventing television, the most engaging product ever created, across web, mobile, and TV platforms. Just as television is about more than simply watching an episode of your favorite show, so too does our work extend well beyond the play button. We take TV schedules, movie and show metadata, live and on-demand feeds, recordings, real-time localized usage metrics, cross-device interoperability, and individualized viewing habits, preferences, restrictions, and notifications – massaging it all into a comprehensive and seamless TV experience.
At Philo, every member of the team is responsible for building and supporting a quality product experience. As such, product responsibilities are fairly decentralized. Cross-functional groups comprising feature leads from design, engineering, marketing, support, content, business development, data science, and other teams work together to tackle problems, collaborating on the motivation, scoping, design, implementation, release, support, and analysis of the corresponding solutions. The primary role of the Product team at Philo is to identify problems, vet opportunities, and equip other members of the Philo team in these cross-functional groups to be successful in pursuing solutions.
We’re seeking our first dedicated Product Lead to help us grow our small, collaborative Product team. Rather than a traditional product manager, you are a high functioning generalist. You are organized, intrinsically motivated, technically adept, user-centric, detail oriented, empathetic, and a doer. You have the ability, experience, and passion to identify and empower a diverse array of team members to vet and execute product initiatives. In tackling such initiatives, you have support on the “why” and the “what” but are independently able to pool resources to arrive at the “when” and “how.” As an individual contributor, you are able and eager to pick up the slack along the way and at times serve as a primary developer in your own right within cross-functional teams, or even execute standalone, end-to-end, lighter weight projects on your own. “Not my problem” is not in your lexicon.
- 4+ years of experience prototyping product experiences, whether using code, apps, or comparable tools/materials (e.g. Figma, Framer X, Origami, Invision)
- 4+ years of experience leading cross-functional teams (identifying stakeholders, organizing inputs, mobilizing contributors, running meetings, documenting outcomes and deliverables, and socializing changes)
- 4+ years of experience demonstrating a strong intuition around technical tradeoffs of different approaches to problems including API design, business performance tracking, and algorithm performance
- Expertise with product documentation, managing timelines/resources, and/or an operations role.
- Some demonstrated expertise with product and business goals, metrics and analytics
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Startup experience on a small team (<25 employees) is a big plus
- Serve as a feature owner for multiple projects—past, present, and future—including answering/routing questions about the project as well as identifying and mobilizing cross-team resources to scope, design, build, ship, support, and analyze the project or feature
- Schedule, run, and summarize meetings about current or future projects
- Consult with domain experts to take an idea from infancy (the “what” and the “why”) to a decently-scoped implementation plan (the “how”), along with shepherding the project through implementation, documenting and socializing the “last mile” of product decisions that happen along the way
- Serve as an individual contributor responsible for prototyping and evaluating projects or features
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors