Philo is building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with seamless playback, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our subscribers and our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work while supporting each other in pursuing shared goals. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. We believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to innovate faster and create the best experience for our subscribers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes a cofounder of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including Discovery, Viacom, AMC, and A&E.
Reporting to the CFO, we’re looking for a Controller who will grow and lead a talented accounting organization and guide our business to excellence at scale in all accounting functions. The ideal candidate will be a pragmatic leader that thrives in a fast paced environment and can help design and build the accounting infrastructure necessary to support a publicly listed company. We are looking for somebody who is curious, up for a challenge, and will embrace the opportunity to grow with a fast growing company.
- Leads the effort in publishing accurate and timely monthly and annual financial statements in compliance with U.S. GAAP.
- Establishes and maintains key accounting policies and procedures
- Acts as the Company’s primary technical accounting resource with the ability to research and document technical issues and effectively interact with outside resources as necessary.
- Guides our efforts in assessing and implementing an ERP system.
- Guides our effort to design and implement SOX compliant internal controls and systems.
- Prepares the company for its initial external audit.
- Hires, trains, and retains skilled accounting staff
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, internal and external reporting requirements and the audit processes.
- S-1 registration process and SOX compliance experience would be ideal but not required.
- Demonstrated abilities in supervising, coaching staff and creating high performing teams.
- Excellent communications skills — written, verbal, and interpersonal — and an ability to tailor communication style to the audience.
- Results-driven, agile leader with the commitment and confidence to assume a leadership role in an evolving complex environment.
- Drive initiatives with limited resources and a roll-up-your-sleeves attitude to achieve desired results.
- Unquestionable personal integrity, fairness, and credibility necessary to gain the trust and respect of individuals at all levels of the team.
- Able to handle multiple tasks and maintain control and order over same
- Experience in start-up environments strongly preferred.
Education and Experience
- A 4-year degree from an accredited college/university;
- A minimum of 10 years of accounting experience.
- CPA required
- 5+ years of public accounting experience required - Big 4 experience strongly preferred.
- Strong experience in both the private and public accounting sectors is preferred but not required
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors