Philo is building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with seamless playback, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
Currently, there are over 60 channels included in our basic package. They include many popular cable networks, includingA&E, Accuweather, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BET, Cheddar, ComedyCentral, CMT, Discovery Channel, Food Network, Game Show Network, Hallmark, HGTV, IFC, INSP,Lifetime, MTV, Newsy, Nickelodeon, OWN, Paramount Network, Sundance, TV One, Vice and VH1. We also offer premium add-on channels from Starz and Epix. There is a lot more programming on the way.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our subscribers and our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work while supporting each other in pursuing shared goals. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. We believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to innovate faster and create the best experience for our subscribers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes a cofounder of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including Discovery, Viacom, AMC, and A&E.
Hack the Full Stack
Philo’s engineers hack up and down the technology stack. It’s not uncommon for a Philo engineer to go from backend coding to user experience design, from the video encoding pipeline to system scalability, from site maintenance to iOS/Android development.
We are actively hiring engineers who are looking to build a completely new kind of product and who have a passion for Roku and front-end development.
What we do
The Product Team is responsible for designing, building, testing, and quite literally reinventing television, the most engaging product ever created, across web, mobile, and TV platforms. Just as television is about more than simply watching an episode of your favorite show, so too does our work extend well beyond the play button. We take TV schedules, movie and show metadata, live and on-demand feeds, recordings, real-time localized usage metrics, cross-device interoperability, and individualized viewing habits, preferences, restrictions, and notifications – massaging it all into a comprehensive and seamless TV experience.
About the Roku team
The Roku app has been an important platform since the Philo service first launched. Roku was our first “10-foot” (streaming TV device) platform. Historically, Roku has also been one of our primary platforms for prototyping future Philo features. At Philo, we are highly focused on optimizing the 10-Foot Experience and you will directly contribute to that effort. By joining the Roku team, you will work on a TV platform at a TV company, allowing you to make a large impact on Philo product design and development.
Are you ready to grow your UI skills beyond the browser and into the living room? If you are a frontend developer looking for a new challenge, join Philo to help us build our Roku app and future smart TV apps. No previous Roku experience is required -- our in-house React BS framework leverages React and Redux architecture patterns to structure our native Roku app written in BrightScript. If you are a frontend developer and already familiar with React and Redux, then you share the same technical background as our entire Roku team so you will ramp up quickly in our Roku codebase.
As a Roku engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Building the Philo experience on Roku
- Contributing to UX design decisions using your domain expertise
- Helping the Philo set-top box team grow
- Helping expand Philo’s 10-Foot experience to other platforms
We are looking for candidates who have:
- Experience with React/Redux UI design concepts and modern frontend development practices
- 4 years of frontend or UI experience
- 2 years of React experience
A strong candidate might also have one or more of these:
- Experience with Redux, BrightScript, SceneGraph, or other Roku APIs
- Familiarity with the Roku ecosystem, including capabilities, limitations, and best practices across devices
- Experience with React Native, Flutter, or using web technologies on any non-browser platform
- Development experience with video playback, cross-device interoperability (e.g. casting), or other 10-foot, connected TV platforms in general (e.g. Roku, FireTV, Android TV, Apple TV, or Smart TVs)
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors