Philo is building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with seamless playback, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our subscribers and our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work while supporting each other in pursuing shared goals. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. We believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to innovate faster and create the best experience for our subscribers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes a cofounder of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including Discovery, Viacom, AMC, and A&E.
Our Head of People will have ownership over Philo’s team culture, structure and policies. They will implement and maintain Human Resources (HR) best practices and provide strategic direction on improving team dynamics and happiness. They will report to the Head of Philo with a dotted line to the Head of Finance and Administration. They will serve as a thought partner to the heads of other teams to provide guidance and strategic execution with regards to leadership, personal development, conflict resolution, talent acquisition, engagement, compensation, organizational change, and performance management. They will also lead our team-wide efforts to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Develop a deep understanding of the team and participate in all strategic deliberations.
- Act as a strategic partner to team heads and provide insightful, innovative thinking and problem solving on critical HR issues.
Compensation and career development
- Develop and implement comprehensive compensation and benefits plans that are competitive and scalable.
- Oversee compensation practices and philosophy to ensure salary benchmarking and feedback are meeting company and market needs.
- Coach and counsel other team leaders in developing themselves and their teams to do their best work.
- Develop a comprehensive approach to team development appropriate to the needs of Philo, considering: compensation and benefits; skill development and learning; and organizational evolution.
- Work with the company's leadership team to establish a sound plan of management succession that corresponds to the strategy and objectives of the company.
Culture and wellness
- Help develop programs and practices to disseminate Philo values, culture, and strategic vision within a fast growing organization.
- Develop relationships with the employees of Philo and become someone who is sought for advice and counsel on HR, cultural, and organizational issues.
- Lead wellness efforts and strategies to increase happiness and work satisfaction.
Conflict, dispute, and escalation
- Document and track employee relations/disputes and, when necessary, preside over mediation. Provide counsel to fellow leaders on appropriate methods of dispute resolution and management.
- Counsel, coach, and guide our team in addressing concerns and complaints to assure fair and equitable treatment while ensuring compliance with relevant labor regulations and practices.
- Develop comprehensive strategic recruiting and retention plans to meet the human capital needs of strategic goals.
- Provide oversight and accountability for the recruiting process (e.g. evaluation criteria, pipeline, internship programs, etc).
- Build the tools policies and procedures to allow for scalable growth
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion
- Create and lead execution of company-wide efforts to increase diversity, equity, and inclusion. Ensure an inclusive recruiting, screening, hiring, onboarding and end-to-end employee experience.
- Manage surveying, tracking, and progress towards diversity and inclusion goals.
- Work with Philo managers to help create and monitor programs ensuring Philo is a positive place to work and learn for employees, regardless of their race, gender, age, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, or disability.
Employee Lifecycle Management
- Proactively manage resource allocation and maintain a competitive approach to recruiting and assimilating high-potential talent. Be the leading voice on attracting talent, retention, development, and succession.
- Work with the teams at Philo to build the tools, policies and procedures to allow for scalable growth and an empowering environment where everyone can do their best work and high performing talent has the opportunity to develop leadership capabilities and grow.
- Establish clear procedures and policies around employee discipline and performance improvement activities.
- Help establish consistent peer feedback mechanisms that are uniformly applied and well understood.
- Manage benefits enrollment, policies, and providers
- Excellent communications skills — written, verbal, and interpersonal — and an ability to tailor communication style to the audience.
- Demonstrated capability in adapting and innovating HR practices and solutions in the context of a fluid, growing organization.
- Results-driven, agile leader with the commitment and confidence to assume a leadership role in an evolving complex environment.
- Drive initiatives with limited resources and roll-up-your-sleeves attitude to achieve desired results.
- Unquestionable personal integrity, fairness, and credibility necessary to gain the trust and respect of individuals at all levels of the team.
- Demonstrated success at cultivating strong partnerships with internal and external stakeholders to achieve goals.
- Empathetic and engaging individual who listens well and is responsive, solutions-focused, and data-driven.
- Knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of and experience with varied human resource information systems.
- Training and experience facilitating and mediating employee conflict and/or discipline scenarios, with an emphasis on delivering outcomes that are fair for all parties, promote the welfare of the team and the health of Philo culture, and encourage personal and professional growth on the part of the individuals involved.
Education and Experience
- A 4-year degree from an accredited college/university; MBA or MA/MS in human resources or related field preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of HR experience.
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) or SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) certification preferred.
- Experience creating and leading execution of company-wide programs to support diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience with end-to-end inclusive recruiting, screening, hiring, onboarding and employee retention.
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!
For California Residents: Philo’s CCPA Notice at Collection – Employees, Applicants, Owners, Directors, Officers and Contractors