Philo is a small, ambitious startup building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with intelligent search, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we are building the TV watching experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our customers and the people on our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work and have a big impact on the product while supporting each other in a collaborative environment. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. Promoting inclusion and diversity is a core part of our values, and we believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to build the best product for our customers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes one of the founders of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including HBO, Discovery, AMC, A&E, and Viacom.
Company and Culture
We’re a small team that puts our product experience first. We foster a flexible work environment that is supportive but allows for autonomy so that everyone on the team can help us build towards our vision. Philo engineers and data scientists own what they build from start to finish. We ship to production multiple times per day and keep unnecessary process to a minimum so we can maintain our pace of rapid development. We value pragmatism, having pride in our work, and deep transparency at all levels.
Philo is seeking a Data Science Lead with demonstrated experience in leading data-driven product development and comprehensive business analytics. In addition to designing and conducting product experiments, this data scientist will leverage massive structured, unstructured, transactional and real-time data sets from a variety of sources, analyze product usage patterns, and make actionable recommendations using statistical modeling, business understanding and common sense. The resulting insights are a critical component of Philo’s decision making around product innovation and marketing spend. The ideal candidate will have competence with statistical modeling and independently developing data driven insights in the face of ambiguity. Experience using Machine Learning to build data-driven product features is a strong bonus.
- Collaborate with the product and engineering teams to design, execute and analyze experiments to improve the product, user experience, and signup conversion rates.
- Collaborate with the engineering team on data pipeline to support advanced analysis of customer acquisition and retention efforts (influenced by product features and marketing activity).
- Collaborate with groups company-wide (e.g. business development, advertising operations, marketing, and support) on KPIs, including LTV measurement and optimizing CAC.
- Create and own predictive models for key business and customer performance metrics.
- Design, build, and maintain automated dashboards that connect data from internal and external data sources to support reporting, data discovery and statistical analysis that inform product priorities and marketing decisions
- Maintain standards for tracking and measurement
- Deliver quick insights on ad hoc projects and analyses as necessary
- Passionately analytical and innately curious creative thinker
- Solid technical database knowledge and experience optimizing SQL queries on large data sets
- Experience with A/B testing and analysis
- Experience with advanced statistical methods
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, particularly the ability to explain and present analytical methodology and results to non-technical audiences
- Hands-on experience with statistical tools (e.g. SAS, R, Python)
- 3-5+ years experience in business and data analytics after graduation
- BS or MS degree in Statistics, Math, Data Science, CS or related discipline
- Hands-on experience with BI and visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Periscope, Domo)
- Programming skills, in particular experience with statistical libraries in python
- Machine Learning and Deep Learning experience
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!