Philo is a small, ambitious startup building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with intelligent search, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we are building the TV watching experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our customers and the people on our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work and have a big impact on the product while supporting each other in a collaborative environment. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. Promoting inclusion and diversity is a core part of our values, and we believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to build the best product for our customers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes one of the founders of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including HBO, Discovery, AMC, A&E, and Viacom.
About the Role
Philo is searching for a creative thinker with strong test automation skills and a knack for breaking things to join our small QA team. This role involves collaborating with multiple teams: Engineering, Design, Marketing, and Support. The QA Engineer will help collect vital data to inform the development team about regressions, broken functionality, or awkward UX issues in new and existing features of the TV platform of the future. They will help to build automated test suites for applications on web, iOS/tvOS, Android Mobile, Android TV, Fire TV, and Roku. They will also develop and maintain a robust library of test cases for both new and existing features of Philo’s multiple applications. This role requires both automated and manual testing on a wide variety of platforms.
The ideal candidate will be a reliable, friendly, and non-judgemental source of early feedback on new functionality and feature changes. They will work with a diverse team in a relaxed but ambitious environment where they are trusted to deliver without micromanagement.
- You possess the ability to prioritize the most impactful and time-consuming manual tests and convert them into automated tests.
- You understand that automated testing should be complemented by manual testing to account for a multitude of use cases.
- You are confident in your improvisation and flexibility. You are able to quickly adapt to changing requirements and take the initiative to focus on the features and issues with the most impact.
- You can bounce between tasks and platforms without skipping a beat.
- You are able to distinguish between blockers and nice-to-have improvements. Sometimes a strategic sanity check is sufficient.
- You are a curious, communicative person who is eager to learn and is ready to join a startup with few formal procedures. You enjoy sharing your own experience and knowledge with your coworkers.
- You are able to clearly explain technical problems and outline precise repro steps verbally and in writing. You excel at providing constructive criticism.
- You enjoy (or at least tolerate!) puns.
- 4+ years QA experience with both automated and manual testing of web and native platforms.
- Experience choosing and using automated testing frameworks for native applications as well as web (e.g. Selenium, TestCafe, Ruby on Rails).
- Strong experience in developing and documenting test cases and reporting bugs for complex features.
- Comfortable working with Git and the command line.
- Experience with Jira or similar bug tracking tools
- Bonus: Experience using XCode and/or Android Studio.
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!