Philo is a small, ambitious startup building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with intelligent search, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we are building the TV watching experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our customers and the people on our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work and have a big impact on the product while supporting each other in a collaborative environment. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company. We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. Promoting inclusion and diversity is a core part of our values, and we believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to build the best product for our customers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes one of the founders of Facebook as well as alums of Comcast, Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including HBO, Discovery, AMC, A&E, and Viacom.
We’re seeking a seasoned Communications Manager to join our Philo team supporting corporate communications for one of the Bay Area’s most innovative and forward-thinking technology companies. This role is based in San Francisco. We are looking for a talented and collaborative PR professional to provide confident, experience-based expertise in B2C/B2B media relations, story and content development, executive conference participation, and overall communications planning. The candidate will be proficient and enthusiastic about all aspects of media relations and story development (traditional and digital media channels), and experienced in the television and corporate tech industry and its impact.
- Play a major role in the research, planning and development of comprehensive PR campaigns and announcements
- Demonstrate proficiency in media relations, including creating and driving outreach plans, message development, and effective pitching and coordination
- Has established relationships with key consumer, business, technology, and trade press, and possess an ability to think like a journalist to develop compelling stories angles
- Provide ongoing strategic recommendations as to what industry conferences and speaking events in which executives should participate
- Regularly track and digest industry trends, stories and insights to proactively identify relevant learnings and new ideas
- Consistently produce high quality written content, including internal correspondence, communications recommendations, press materials, etc.
- Ability to manage agency on campaign-specific programs
Internal Stakeholder Management
- Serve as a daily internal contact; address issues thoughtfully and effectively
- Ability to multi-task and juggle multiple projects at once, independently and within the team
- Oversee performance of projects, ensuring work quality, consistency and deadline adherence
- Be detail oriented, and develop an understanding of the business and Philo’s style
- Help set achievable program goals and manage against them
- Motivate teamwork by working closely with overall team and peers and by ensuring senior team members meet approval deadlines and stay on track with deliverables
- Commit to continuous learning and leadership development
The right candidate loves TV, understands the ever-evolving landscape of the new TV industry, is fearless, resourceful, tenacious, and has an understanding of traditional and non-traditional PR tactics and the media landscape. Basically you are committed to driving great results for Philo while building great relationships and will roll up their sleeves to thrive in the growth of an exciting company!
- At least 4-5+ years of relevant experience in PR and/or related fields; previous agency with corporate and/or technology industry experience is strongly preferred
- An understanding of the integral role PR plays in supporting a company’s overall objectives, and familiarity with best practice communications tactics and PR tools
- A pulse on today’s ever-changing media, entertainment and business landscape; existing track record/contacts with key consumer and entertainment press; a bonus if specific campaign results targeting multicultural audiences
- Creative brand storytelling prowess and strong media relations, research, writing and editing skills are a must
- Excellent written skills and a strong attention to detail, demonstrated experience crafting newsworthy pitches, releases, contributed articles
- Strong presentation and verbal communications skills; a collaborative spirit
- Experience leveraging data-driven research/analysis to drive strategic communications programs
- 3+ Consumer media references, past employment and partner references
Projected Start Date: September 1
Location: San Francisco, CA
Reports to: Head of Communications
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!