Philo is a small, ambitious startup building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with intelligent search, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we are building the TV watching experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our customers and the people on our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work and have a big impact on the product while supporting each other in a collaborative environment. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. Promoting inclusion and diversity is a core part of our values, and we believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to build the best product for our customers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes one of the founders of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including HBO, Discovery, AMC, A&E, and Viacom.
Each team member owns what they build from start to finish. We ship to production multiple times per day and keep unnecessary process to a minimum so we can maintain our pace of rapid development.
Design and Build
The Product Team is responsible for designing, building, testing, and quite literally reinventing television, the most engaging product ever created, across web, mobile, and TV platforms. Each member of our team works together on the entire product experience. It’s not uncommon to go from brainstorming backend considerations to polishing design details, from understanding how the video encoding pipeline affects performance to the different needs of different platforms. As a Product Designer, you will work throughout the development process, from developing new ideas to getting the details right. You will own the experience for a significant part of the Philo experience.
- Design flows and screens that are simple and powerful ways to find, watch and share television
- Demonstrate product design concepts from interface all the way through to experience
- Contribute to strategic decisions with the rest of the product team
- Iteratively designing and improving upon our video players, application UIs, and cross-device experiences.
- Prototyping, testing, and iterating upon new features
- Analyzing and incorporating cross-platform metrics to continually measure engagement and usage pattern
- Partner with marketers, support, and other engineers to drive the user experience from conception until launch and continuing improvement
- Support user testing to drive product insights and enhancements
- Ability to think at a high level about product strategy and vision
- Experience in building and testing prototypes of applications
- 2 years or more experience in roles creating application design, visual design, and interaction design
- Experience with front-end development
- Experience designing with and for diverse groups of people
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!