Our crypto wallet is used by millions of people to access apps and financial services built on the Solana blockchain. The Data Engineering team collaborates with an experienced group of engineers, analysts, and product managers to build highly available and scalable data infrastructure for Phantom’s products and services. As one of the founding Data Engineers, you will be responsible for developing, managing, and scaling Phantom’s robust database infrastructure that will ultimately help to onboard millions of people to access web3 apps and financial services. This is a unique opportunity where you'll influence strategic product and infrastructure decisions as we bridge the gap between the blockchain and the delightful experience our users have come to expect. Join us on our mission to make the digital economy safe and easy to use for everyone.
This role is fully remote; however, we’re only open to candidates based in US and EU time zones. Currently, Phantom cannot support employees from the following countries and continents: Russia, Pakistan, Ukraine, Asia, Oceania, and Africa.
- Design, implement, and maintain Petabyte scale relational database systems with a focus on availability, security, performance, and scalability.
- Experience writing, debugging, and tuning SQL
- Serve as an expert in database performance, scalability, query tuning, monitoring, and incident response.
- Build highly reliable data services to integrate with dozens of blockchains.
- Design data models for optimal storage and retrieval to support sub-second latency for querying blockchain data.
- Deploy and monitor large database clusters that are performant and highly available.
- Work cross-functionally with data scientists, backend engineers and product managers to to plan and execute database infrastructure build-outs to support Phantom’s products.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in database design, development, and operations with one or more of the following technologies: PostgreSQL, TimescaleDB, Rockset, Apache Druid, Apache Pinot, StarRocks, ElasticSearch, Redis
- Experience managing a highly reliable database platform with a focus on security, performance, and scale to meet the requirements of millions of users.
- Proficient in data modeling for OLTP and OLAP workloads.
- 5+ years of experience building distributed system architecture, from whiteboard to production.
- Experience influencing product roadmap and strategy, and prioritizing existing database initiatives to drive business outcomes.
- Strong programming skills in Python and SQL.
- Versatility. Experience across the entire spectrum of data engineering, including:
- Data stores (see above)
- Data pipeline and workflow orchestration tools (e.g., Airflow, Dataflow, DBT)
- Data processing technologies and streaming workflows (e.g., Spark, Kafka, Flink, Pub/Sub)
- Deployment and monitoring infrastructure in public cloud platforms (e.g., Docker, Terraform, Kubernetes, Datadog)
- Loading, querying and transforming large data sets
Why Work with Us
We are a team of experienced builders with a ton of traction in a big and growing market – our users are so passionate they were hacking their way into our private beta. Only months after launching we've acquired millions of users, and are adding hundreds of thousands every week. We are by far the leading wallet on Solana, and plan to expand to other chains soon.
On top of that, there has never been a better time to work in crypto and on wallets in particular.
- Wallets play a pivotal role: Wallets are responsible for on-boarding new users into crypto, and can make or break the user experience.
- We are moving to a multi-chain world: New blockchains and scaling solutions are coming online and gaining traction, but are lacking decent wallets and bridges.
- DeFi & NFTs are exploding : Interest in DeFi and NFTs has exploded, yet they are still an after-thought in existing wallets.
- Competitive salary and equity.
- Comprehensive insurance (medical/dental/vision) — 100% covered.
- Stipend for your ideal remote / WFH set-up: laptop, headphones, and any other work gear you may need.
- Flexible hours and a long-standing, supportive remote environment.
- Monthly co-working space and mobile phone expense.
- Unlimited vacation: Take time when you need it (and we really mean it).
- 401(k) retirement plan (although we are not matching at this time)
- Wellness benefit
- Daily lunch benefit
The target base salary for this role will range between $180,000 to $230,000 with the addition of equity and benefits. This is determined by a few factors including your skillset, prior relevant experience, quality of interviews and market factors (such as location) at the point in time of offer.