Senior Software Engineer – Distributed Systems
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
What We Do:
Company: We provide an AI software platform that allows enterprises to design, build, experiment, customize, operate and own vertical AI solutions in a wide range of industries and areas, such as healthcare, industrial manufacturing and utilities, financial services, telecommunications, autonomous driving, and beyond. Petuum lets enterprises easily understand and apply AI to gain deep insight for better decision-making and improved productivity and efficiency. Our mission is to enable organizations to own, build and become informed users of their AI solutions, without relying on expensive talents.
Team: We design and implement efficient and large-scale systems and frameworks that support practical machine learning and deep learning algorithms. You will create solutions to real-world problems such as scalability, performance, multi-tenancy and fault-tolerance of ML systems. You will drive the development, productization, testing, and maintenance of distributed ML systems and applications. You will quickly learn the evolving proprietary and open source technologies.
What You Will Do:
- Architect and prototype key features for distributed batch and stream data processing.
- Design, implement, and test backend Data and ML pipelines and services with well-designed APIs.
- Use your experience to lead large scale projects to completion.
- Influence and help to improve our engineering practices and scrum process.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You’ve Already Done:
- You have a Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related quantitative field. Equivalent practical work experience is a plus.
- You have 5+ years of industry experience developing software.
- You know how to architect robust services and maintain high standards on the codebase in a fast-growing team and stay up-to-date on architectural trends.
- You know how to tread the water to bring down data processing latency and bump up overall system throughput.
- Built, deployed and supported backend services targeting distributed computing, machine learning, or data processing at scale.
- Design intuitive APIs, strong in documentation, write clean code, build in supportability aspects into your code, implement good test coverage in your unit tests, and care about the user.
- Strong programming skills in Python, Golang C++ or Java in Unix/Linux environment using Docker/Kubernetes.
- Expertise in working with Spark (streaming preferred), Flink, Hadoop or similar frameworks.
- Exposure to messaging PubSub systems such as Pulsar and Kafka.
- Fast learner who thrives on learning new technologies and doesn’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. Easily adapts to rapidly evolving development environment.
- Experience leading a software development team is a plus.
- Startup experience is a plus.
What We Offer for your Valuable Work:
Petuum offers Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/Disability, Paid Time Off, Parental Leave, and more. Petuum is a welcoming workplace that considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Petuum is an at-will employer.