Senior Software Engineering Manager
Team: Product Lines
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking Sr. Software Engineering (SWE) Managers that not only have the technical chops to provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of engineers. Reporting to a Director, you not only optimize your own code but make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs. As a SWE Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy, and help develop your team. You will be part of a team of world-class engineers, designers, and scientists, working together to industrialize the building and deployment of AI and Machine Learning systems.
- Develop and maintain an organization of quality people through effective hiring, coaching and performance management processes.
- Provide technical guidance, career development, and mentoring to team members.
- Provide technical leadership and direction, balancing short- and long-term technology investments.
- Direct the work of engineers to ensure best practices around software development.
- Provide leadership in architecting and implementing technical infrastructure.
- Facilitate the code review process to ensure development work adheres to standards and specifications (including peer review as well as code review external to development team).
- Champion and ensure adherence to development strategy, standards, policies, tools and procedures during all phases of the development life cycle.
- Establish and maintain productive working relationships wih business partners and project teams.
- Partner with the business and project teams to understand requirements and project goals, and then use this information to effectively plan and lead the development process.
- Provide oversight and leadership to software engineers to ensure timely execution of team and project deliverables.t
- Ensures that projects, department milestones, and goals are met while adhering to approved budgets.
- Provide implementation/production support as required.
- Drive quality practices, standards and metrics to achieve high levels of service availability and customer satisfaction
- Evaluate, troubleshoot and lead root-cause analysis for production issues and system failures; determine corrective action and improvements to prevent recurrence.
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or directly-related discipline, together with five (5) years of previous software engineering and technical leadership experience.
- Demonstrated track record of recruiting excellent engineers and building a strong technical benchmark.
- Strong knowledge of agile scrum practices and experience in using those methods to deliver complex software.
- Hands-on programming experience in at least one of the following: C/C++, Go, or Python.
- Passionate about system software and AI/Machine Learning.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly in our evolving business and technology environment.
- Strong sense of ownership and ability to collaborate effectively with others.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science or closely related degree.
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience, with 4+ years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience (managing teams of 8 or more engineers).
- Large scale systems design experiences.
- Familiarity with modern ML and development toolchain, such as Docker, Kubernetes, distributed file systems, GPU programming, CI/CD, TensorFlow, among others.
- Strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design optimized for large-scale distributed software systems.
- Strong background in enterprise products and business systems. Background in architect level roles and in working with product management on defining and building business systems from the ground up.