Senior Software Engineer – Back End
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
What We Do:
Company: We provide an AI software platform that allows enterprises to design, build, experiment, customize, operate and own vertical AI solutions in a wide range of industries and areas, such as healthcare, industrial manufacturing and utilities, financial services, telecommunications, autonomous driving, and beyond. Petuum lets enterprises easily understand and apply AI to gain deep insight for better decision-making and improved productivity and efficiency. Our mission is to enable organizations to own, build and become informed users of their AI solutions, without relying on expensive talents.
Team: The Application Program Interface (API) Team develops various services and libraries that abstract tricky system complexity away from other teams, allowing for more effective company-wide development of our GraphQL APIs. The API Team additionally spearheads new GraphQL API tooling and best practices.
What You Will Do:
- Learn the basics and best practices of GraphQL APIs, and design processes and tolling to effectively convey and enforce these ideas.
- Serve as a consultant for other teams who are developing GraphQL APIs; design and implement our own GraphQL APIs to be used by other teams.
- Design libraries to handle system complexity, such as file ingestion and real-time event publishing.
- Work with Kubernetes, GraphQL, Docker, and other technologies used by modern startups.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You’ve Already Done:
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related quantitative field. An advances degree or equivalent work experience is a plus.
- You have 4+ years of experience.
- Experience with the architecture of robust services, and a willingness to maintain high codebase standards in a fast-growing company.
- Knowledge of architectural patterns (particularly microservices), version control, and the CI/CD process.
- Experience working with microservices, web API design, or pub/sub systems is a plus.
- Strong OOP principles and a good intuition for interface design.
- Startup experience is a plus.
What You Already Know:
- Languages: Python, Golang, TypeScript/Node.js
- Frameworks/Libraries: Flask, GraphQL-Go, Graphene, Apollo GraphQL
- Databases: Relational database knowledge is a plus.
- Platforms: Linux, GitHub
- Tools: Docker, Kubernetes, Git, Apache Pulsar
What We Offer for your Valuable Work:
Petuum offers Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/Disability, Paid Time Off, Parental Leave, and more.
Petuum is a welcoming workplace that considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Petuum is an at-will employer.