Software Engineering Manager – Back End – Workflow
Team: Library and Services
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
What We Do:
Company: We provide an AI software platform that allows enterprises to design, build, experiment, customize, operate and own vertical AI solutions in a wide range of industries and areas, such as healthcare, industrial manufacturing and utilities, financial services, telecommunications, autonomous driving, and beyond. Petuum lets enterprises easily understand and apply AI to gain deep insight for better decision-making and improved productivity and efficiency. Our mission is to enable organizations to own, build and become informed users of their AI solutions, without relying on expensive talents.
Team: The Library and Services team implements the next generation of data transformation and machine learning (ML) systems. We build tools to both (a) process raw data and (b) apply powerful ML-models to the prepared data.
What You Will Do:
- Facilitate the code review process to ensure development work adheres to pre-determined standards and specifications (including peer review and code review external to development team).
- Ensure alignment with development strategy, standards, tools and procedures during all phases of the development life cycle.
- Establish and maintain productive working relationships with business partners and project teams.
- Translate given product requirements and project goals into an effective development process.
- Provide leadership to software engineers to ensure the execution of team deliverables are met on-time and within budget.
- Provide implementation/production support as required.
- Evaluate, troubleshoot and lead root-cause analysis for production issues and system failures; determine corrective action and improvements to prevent recurrence.
- Develop and maintain an organization of quality people through effective hiring, coaching and performance management processes.
- Provide technical direction, balancing short- and long-term technology investments, to ensure best practices around software development.
- Provide leadership in architecting and implementing technical infrastructure.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You’ve Already Done:
- You have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related quantitative field. An advanced degree or equivalent practical work experience is a plus.
- You have 8+ years of experience.
- Experience leading development teams, data engineers, and/or research scientists.
- Experience with coding and code reviews with team.
- Demonstrated track record of recruiting excellent engineers and building a strong technical benchmark.
- Strong knowledge of agile scrum practices and experience in using those methods to deliver complex software.
- Machine learning domain knowledge such as, bias-variance tradeoff, exploration/exploitation and understanding of various model families, including neural net, decision trees, Bayesian models, instance-based learning, association learning, and deep learning algorithms.
- Startup experience is a plus.
What You Already Know:
- Languages: HTML, CSS, Java, (in lieu of Python), Python, Bash/Shell, Node.js, Perl, C++. Scala is a plus.
- Frameworks/Libraries: Django, Spark, Torch/ PyTorch. Familiar with TensorFlow, Caffe, Theanos, Scikit-Learn, or ML Lib for production or commercial products.
- Databases: SQL or NoSQL, MySQL, or Cassandra
- Platforms: Linux, GitHub
- Tools: Bootstrap, Angular.JS, Docker, Kubernetes, GitHub, Stack Overflow, Spark, Hadoop, Kafka, NumPy, SciPy, Apache Spark
What We Offer for your Valuable Work:
Petuum offers Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/Disability, Paid Time Off, Parental Leave, and more.
Petuum is a welcoming workplace that considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Petuum is an at-will employer.