ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking Software Engineering (SWE) Managers that not only have the technical chops to provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of engineers. Reporting to a Director, you not only optimize your own code but make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs. As a SWE Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy, and help develop your team. You will be part of a team of world-class engineers, designers, and scientists, working together to industrialize the building and deployment of AI and Machine Learning systems.
- Develop and maintain an organization of quality people through effective hiring, coaching and performance management processes.
- Provide technical guidance, career development, and mentoring to team members.
- Provide technical leadership and direction, balancing short- and long-term technology investments.
- Direct the work of engineers to ensure best practices around software development.
- Provide leadership in architecting and implementing technical infrastructure.
- Facilitate the code review process to ensure development work adheres to standards and specifications (including peer review as well as code review external to development team).
- Champion and ensure adherence to development strategy, standards, policies, tools and procedures during all phases of the development life cycle.
- Establish and maintain productive working relationships with business partners and project teams.
- Partner with the business and project teams to understand requirements and project goals, and then use this information to effectively plan and lead the development process.
- Provide oversight and leadership to software engineers to ensure timely execution of team and project deliverables.
- Ensures that projects, department milestones, and goals are met while adhering to approved budgets.
- Provide implementation/production support as required.
- Drive quality practices, standards and metrics to achieve high levels of service availability and customer satisfaction
- Evaluate, troubleshoot and lead root-cause analysis for production issues and system failures; determine corrective action and improvements to prevent recurrence.
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or directly-related discipline, together with five (5) years of previous software engineering and technical leadership experience.
- Demonstrated track record of recruiting excellent engineers and building a strong technical benchmark.
- Strong knowledge of agile scrum practices and experience in using those methods to deliver complex software.
- Hands-on programming experience in at least one of the following: C/C++, Go, or Python.
- Passionate about system software and AI/Machine Learning.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly in our evolving business and technology environment.
- Strong sense of ownership and ability to collaborate effectively with others.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science or closely related degree.
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience, with 4+ years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience (managing teams of 8 or more engineers).
- Large scale systems design experiences.
- Familiarity with modern ML and development toolchain, such as Docker, Kubernetes, distributed file systems, GPU programming, CI/CD, TensorFlow, among others.
- Strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design optimized for large-scale distributed software systems.
- Strong background in enterprise products and business systems. Background in architect level roles and in working with product management on defining and building business systems from the ground up.
Petuum is a software infrastructure and ecosystem provider that enables AI for enterprise. Petuum’s operating system gives users a single platform to build any Machine Learning or Deep Learning application using large amounts of data, and deploy it at scale on any hardware – such as workstations, datacenters, the internet of things, and edge computing.
The Petuum development platform and gallery of AI building blocks work with any programming language and any type of data, allowing managers and analysts to quickly build AI applications without any coding, while engineers and coders can further re-program applications as needed. With Petuum, many AI applications and hardware can be created and managed from a single laptop or terminal, driving higher productivity, better service, lower costs, and faster delivery. By standardizing AI solutions, Petuum lowers the barrier to AI adoption and allows for the integration of AI into every industry.
Petuum closes $93 Million Series B round led by SoftBank with participation from previous investor Advantech Capital, becoming one of the highest funded early-stage Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning startups.
Check us out for yourself at http://www.petuum.com/.