Permutive is built on the core principle of responsible marketing, which includes privacy, consent and transparency. Its Audience Platform empowers publishers and advertisers to responsibly activate audiences without any third-party access to personal data.
Permutive is listed in Y Combinator’s Top 150 companies of all time and is trusted by the world’s largest publishers and advertisers, including News Corp, Hearst, BuzzFeed, Penske Media, Future plc, The Guardian, Vox Media, Insider, Hubert Burda Media and Condé Nast International.
About the Role...
Permutive is looking for a Software Engineer to join our Edge Mobile team to work on our Mobile and CTV SDKs, which are currently written in Swift and Kotlin. They connect millions of users to our platform and send billions of events a day.
This role will involve working closely with Product, Edge engineers, and other product teams. We're interested in someone who has high-level, pragmatic ideas on how software should be built in a product team, and we'd love for you to bring a fresh perspective to our team to help us solve problems more effectively.
The Mobile team is part of our wider Edge team, which is responsible for distributing data processing and synchronising computation state across the billions of users that run our SDKs. Our mission is to enable distributed, privacy-safe computation on the edge, without compromising the experience of the end-user, and we collaborate closely with other teams to enable them to build functionality on top of our edge platform. From a product perspective, we have a focus on enabling our customers to seamlessly integrate Permutive into their web, mobile and CTV applications.
The problem we are trying to solve
We believe that computing at the edge represents a sea change in the way technology will be built, and enabling edge computing for the Mobile ecosystem is a key part of this shift. We've built a run-time platform for edge computing, which provides an environment for distributing computation to devices. Alongside this, our SDKs provide an interface for our customers to use to interact with this environment and access the results of these computations. This has already been deployed across dozens of the world's largest web and mobile properties and is being run by millions of users.
As we move forward with our ambitious plans for the SDKs, we would love to work with someone who is curious and enjoys solving complex challenges to join alongside an existing team using the latest mobile technologies.
We'll spend time with you to help you to get familiar with the SDKs and our challenges, learning and growing into the role.
Once you’re feeling comfortable and have had time to onboard with us, some questions you'll help us to answer are:
- How can we improve client developer's experience with our SDKs?
- How can we get more clarity and visibility on the health and potential issues of our live SDKs?
- How can we improve our testing strategies for platform and platform-independent tests?
- Can we take advantage of multiplatform code? What components can we identify and rewrite as part of this strategy?
- How can we better manage the lifecycle of features and platform versions in deployed SDKs?
Please note - we don't expect you to know the answer to these questions already, we will work to solve them together!
The ideal candidate will have
- Experience in Swift
- Great communication skills, both spoken and written
- A keen product focus and will know where to invest effort in order to derive the most value.
- Experience in working with RESTful APIs
- Experience with asynchronous functional code
- A desire to solve interesting and challenging engineering problems
We'd be particularly excited if you also have...
- Experience in Kotlin
- Previous experience in AdTech and/or CTV development
- An interest or experience in functional programming
We take a structured, objective approach to salary-setting, which is based on market information, our compensation strategy, and your experience and capability as assessed through our interview process.
For a typical candidate with Swift experience plus most of our requirements we would likely pay £90,000 + options.
For a candidate who meets most of our bonus criteria, we’d pay up to £115,000 + options.
- Stock options
- Parental Leave Policy entitling new parents up to 26 weeks of leave on full pay
- Everyone has an annual learning budget of £2,400 which we encourage you to use to level up
- Time to rest and relax with unlimited paid leave (minimum expectation of 25 days annually)
- Extensive training and development opportunities
- Cycle to work scheme
- Automatic enrolment into our pension scheme from day one
- Free access to Spill, our mental health partners
- The equipment and technology you need to be successful, plus a generous working from home stipend upon joining
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Permutive, we’re taking a thoughtful, intersectional, long-term approach to diversity, equity & inclusion. We care deeply about creating an inclusive work environment that allows everyone to flourish, and we are taking continual action to progress in that direction. If you would like to read an outline of efforts we have already made towards becoming a more inclusive company as well as insight into what we are actively working on, you can find that information here.
Our approach to Remote First
Permutive is a remote first company. We also have an office presence in London and New York. All employees have optional access to a permanent in-person collaboration space in NYC and London. You are expected to do your primary work from home however everyone at Permutive has the option to spend as much (or as little) time as they need working from our office spaces. As a company, we gather in person at least once per quarter for different company-wide events.