Permutive is built on the core principle of responsible marketing, which includes privacy, consent and transparency. Its Audience Platform empowers publishers and advertisers to responsibly activate audiences without any third-party access to personal data.
Permutive is listed in Y Combinator’s Top 150 companies of all time and is trusted by the world’s largest publishers and advertisers, including News Corp, Hearst, BuzzFeed, Penske Media, Future plc, The Guardian, Vox Media, Insider, Hubert Burda Media and Condé Nast International.
About the Role...
Permutive is looking for an enthusiastic and curious Software Engineer who is excited to work and learn alongside our experienced Cohorts team.
Once up to speed here with the tools and technologies, you will use a wide range of approaches to build the functionality that solves previously-impossible problems for our customers and helps them deliver value through our platform.
You will join a team of experienced engineers who own the process of building new product features and managing the whole development process, including design, coding, testing, deploying, and monitoring.
The Team and Technologies
The Cohorts team help our client to extract value from their data by building Cohorts, Cohorts are groups of users grouped by 1st Party data. We are responsible for creating high throughput data pipelines, building HTTP services that are scalable and robust and developing infrastructure to allow our Data Scientists to work efficiently.
We would love to hear from Software Engineers that have knowledge or an interest in working with some of the technologies we use:
- Scala: cats, cats-effect, fs2, http4s, circe, doobie
- Infrastructure: Kubernetes, Kafka, Bigtable, BigQuery, Beam, Postgres, Grafana, Terraform, TensorFlow
You will be responsible for helping the team to build out new services and processing pipeline, and ultimately to drive business value to our customers.
The wider context
We’re 45+ engineers working to build an outstanding engineering culture so that everyone who joins has the opportunity and the support to do the best work of their life. Small, autonomous teams are important to us, and we want to empower everyone to make—and be accountable for—decisions through ownership.
Everything we build has to scale: our platform handles more requests each day than there are new tweets and Google searches, and each month we see more than a billion users. We think applying functional programming techniques like compositionality and type-safety is the best way to build the type of massive distributed system our platform comprises, allowing us to move fast without sacrificing quality.
The ideal candidate will have
- Understanding of functional programming and general software engineering concepts.
- Experience with Scala programming.
- Some experience with distributed systems with an understanding of when to use them.
- Able to communicate technical concepts clearly.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Product awareness.
We'd be particularly excited if you have one or more of the below
- Familiarity with Apache Kafka or similar messaging system.
- Familiarity with functional Scala libraries, e.g. Cats or fs2.
- Familiarity with microservices.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes.
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS or GCP.
We take a structured, objective approach to salary-setting, which is based on market information, our compensation strategy, and your experience and capability as assessed through our interview process.
For a candidate with commercial experience working with Scala plus our requirements we would likely pay £70,000 options.
For a candidate with commercial Scala experience, who meets several of our bonus criteria, we’d pay up to £115,000 options.
- Stock options
- Parental Leave Policy entitling new parents up to 26 weeks of leave on full pay
- Everyone has an annual learning budget of £2,400 which we encourage you to use to level up
- Time to rest and relax with unlimited paid leave (minimum expectation of 25 days annually)
- Extensive training and development opportunities
- Cycle to work scheme
- Automatic enrolment into our pension scheme from day one
- Free access to Spill, our mental health partners
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Permutive, we’re taking a thoughtful, intersectional, long-term approach to diversity, equity & inclusion. We care deeply about creating an inclusive work environment that allows everyone to flourish, and we are taking continual action to progress in that direction. If you would like to read an outline of efforts we have already made towards becoming a more inclusive company as well as insight into what we are actively working on, you can find that information here.
Our approach to Remote First
Permutive is a remote first company. We also have an office presence in London and New York. From March 2022, all employees have optional access to a permanent in-person collaboration space in NYC and London. You are expected to do your primary work from home however everyone at Permutive has the option to spend as much (or as little) time as they need working from our office spaces. As a company, we gather in person at least once per quarter for different company-wide events.