Permutive is powering the future of targeted advertising on the Open Web today. As the only Audience Platform built on edge computing, we enable premium advertisers and publishers to plan, build and activate cohorts — all while keeping everyone’s data safe.
We’re a remote-first B2B SaaS company with 150+ people—centered around our London and New York hubs—and growing rapidly. We have received funding from some of the world’s best investors, including a recent $75m Series C led by SoftBank Vision Fund 2.
About the Role...
Permutive is expanding our engineering team further and we are looking for a Staff Engineer to join us to lead and grow a small product-focussed team within our Data Onboarding domain.
In this role, you'll spend at least 50% of your time on coding and technical implementation, while also taking ownership of the growth and delivery for a small team of software engineers.
This role will involve working closely with Product, Senior Engineering Managers, and managing a team of Functional Scala Engineers. Initially, the team will be small – you’ll be the first member! However, we expect to see this quickly evolve into a small autonomous team of 3 Scala engineers. You should expect to spend 50-75% of your time designing systems, leading on technical implementation and writing code. The rest of your time will be spent managing delivery and supporting the growth of your team.
The Team and Technologies
The Onboarding Team is focussed on enabling our customers to leverage all their owned first-party and partner data in the Permutive platform. We are responsible for the APIs and data infrastructure which our customers and partners use to onboard data into the Permutive platform. To give an idea of the scale we operate at, our Events API ingests over 100Bi events monthly, and processes over 70k events/sec at peak times.
From a product perspective, we help our customers onboard various types of data into our platform including behavioral, contextual, modeled and declared data. We also help customers connect related data within our platform, using our Identity infrastructure. The team also collaborates closely with other product engineering teams and provides interfaces that enable them to consume onboarded data and leverage it to build new product features.
We’re looking to split our existing Onboarding Team into two: one team focussed on Data Onboarding and the other on Identity. Joining us in this role, you’ll be leading and growing a new Data Onboarding team.
Some of the questions you will help us to answer in this role
- How can we help customers onboard new types of data into the Permutive platform?
- How can we enable other product engineering teams to consume and leverage this data in an efficient and effective way?
- How should we unify our data infrastructure across our publisher and advertiser customer sets?
- How do you best support the professional development of a diverse engineering team, where people sit at different points on the Manager—Individual Contributor spectrum?
- When and who should we hire into the team? How can we pre-empt team capacity issues?
- How can we best collaborate with other Engineering Managers and Product to define roadmaps and create success metrics for the team?
- How do we support the demands of an ever-growing engineering team in a fair and transparent way?
The ideal person for this role will have
- Understanding of functional programming and general software engineering concepts.
- Experience with messaging systems (e.g. Kafka or Kinesis).
- Experience with distributed data stores (e.g. Bigtable, DynamoDB).
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS or GCP.
- Strong communication skills, patience, and empathy.
- Experience working with product teams and other stakeholders.
- A keen product focus and ability to determine where to invest effort in order to derive the most value.
- Prior experience managing or mentoring engineers.
- A demonstrable breadth of technical knowledge.
We'd be particularly excited if you have one or more of the below
- Familiarity with functional Scala libraries, e.g. Fs2, Http4s, Cats or Doobie.
- Interest in batch and stream data processing.
- Experience with designing systems that have to operate at scale.
- Experience working in a fast-growing team or startup.
How we pay
We take a structured, objective approach to salary-setting, which is based on market information, our compensation strategy, and your experience and capability as assessed through our interview process.
For a candidate meeting our requirements we would likely pay £110,000 - £130,000 + options.
- Stock options
- Parental Leave Policy entitling new parents up to 26 weeks of leave on full pay
- Everyone has an annual learning budget of £2,400 which we encourage you to use to level up
- Time to rest and relax with unlimited paid leave (minimum expectation of 25 days annually)
- Extensive training and development opportunities
- Automatic enrolment into our pension scheme from day one
- Free access to Spill, our mental health partners
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Permutive, we’re taking a thoughtful, intersectional, long-term approach to diversity, equity & inclusion. We care deeply about creating an inclusive work environment that allows everyone to flourish, and we are taking continual action to progress in that direction. If you would like to read an outline of efforts we have already made towards becoming a more inclusive company as well as insight into what we are actively working on, you can find that information here.
How we are responding to COVID-19
We have a presence in London and New York. Permutive is a remote first company committed to working from home for all Permutive employees until February 2022. We have invested significant time and budget into ensuring that everyone is suitably equipped to manage this time period. Our guiding principle behind any decision we make will always be the health and well-being of our employees. In February 2022, we will continue to be a remote first company, and all employees will have optional access to in-person collaboration space in NYC and London.