Permutive is powering the future of targeted advertising on the Open Web today. As the only Audience Platform built on edge computing, we enable premium advertisers and publishers to plan, build and activate cohorts — all while keeping everyone’s data safe.
We’re a remote-first B2B SaaS company with 150+ people—centred around our London and New York hubs—and growing rapidly. We have received funding from some of the world’s best investors, including a recent $75m Series C led by SoftBank Vision Fund 2.
About the Role...
Permutive is looking for a compassionate Engineering Manager to lead and grow our talented Mobile team.
You'll guide, direct and support the team's day-to-day work, and you'll take ownership of both the team's growth and delivery. At the moment, the team consists of two Android engineers and two iOS engineers; you will help us define the team's growth, with the view that we will double the team's size in the next 12 months.
As the manager within this team, you'll play a significant role in successfully scaling this team, from hiring diverse talented individuals, effectively onboarding new joiners, and mentoring each person to ensure they develop and grow.
This role will involve working closely with Product, Senior Engineering Managers, and other product teams. We're interested in someone who has high-level ideas on how pragmatic product teams should be led, and we'd love for you to bring a fresh perspective to our team to help us solve problems more effectively.
The Team and Technologies
We’re 40+ engineers working to build an outstanding engineering culture so that everyone who joins has the opportunity and the support to do the best work of their life. Small, autonomous teams are important to us, and we want to empower everyone to make—and be accountable for—decisions through ownership.
The Mobile team is part of our wider Edge team, which is responsible for distributing data processing and synchronising computation state across the billions of users that run our SDKs. Our mission is to enable distributed, privacy-safe computation on the edge, without compromising the experience of the end-user, and we collaborate closely with other teams to enable them to build functionality on top of our edge platform. From a product perspective, we have a focus on enabling our customers to seamlessly integrate Permutive into their web, mobile and CTV applications.
We believe that computing at the edge represents a sea change in the way technology will be built, and as we move forward with our ambitious plans for the platform, we need an experienced manager to lead the team through its next stage of growth.
Some of the questions you will help us to answer in this role
- How should we balance high quality with efficiency when building SDKs for a large variety of platforms?
- How do you best support the professional development of a diverse engineering team, where people sit at different points on the Manager/Individual Contributor spectrum?
- When and who should we hire into the team? How can we pre-empt team capacity issues?
- How can we best collaborate with other Engineering Managers and Technical Leads to define roadmaps and create success metrics for the team?
- How do we support the demands of an ever growing engineering team in a fair and transparent way?
- How do we continue to allow engineers to move quickly and efficiently while maintaining the resiliency and performance necessary to operate at scale?
The ideal person for this role will have
- Strong communication skills, patience, and empathy.
- Prior experience managing teams of 4+ engineers.
- A keen product focus and will know where to invest effort in order to derive the most value.
- Experience in the mobile ecosystem.
- A focus on bringing out the best in the engineers in a team and empowering them to progress in their career and technical capabilities.
- Prior involvement in building teams: from hiring to onboarding engineers.
- A demonstrable breadth of technical knowledge.
We'd be particularly excited if you have one or more of the below
- Experience working in a fast-growing team or startup.
- Experience in developing mobile SDKs.
How we pay
We take a structured, objective approach to salary-setting, which is based on market information, our compensation strategy, and your experience and capability as assessed through our interview process.
For a candidate meeting our requirements we would likely pay £105,000 to £115,000 + options.
- Stock options (you'll own a piece of the pie)
- Parental Leave Policy entitling new parents up to 26 weeks of leave on full pay
- Everyone has an annual learning budget of £2,400 which we encourage you to use to level up
- Time to rest and relax with unlimited paid leave (minimum expectation of 25 days annually)
- Extensive training and development opportunities
- Cycle to work scheme
- Automatic enrolment into our pension scheme from day one
- Free access to Spill, our mental health partners
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Permutive, we’re taking a thoughtful, intersectional, long-term approach to diversity, equity & inclusion. We care deeply about creating an inclusive work environment that allows everyone to flourish, and we are taking continual action to progress in that direction. If you would like to read an outline of efforts we have already made towards becoming a more inclusive company as well as insight into what we are actively working on, you can find that information here.
How we are responding to COVID-19
We have a presence in London and New York. Permutive is a remote first company committed to working from home for all Permutive employees until early 2022. We have invested significant time and budget into ensuring that everyone is suitably equipped to manage this time period. Our guiding principle behind any decision we make will always be the health and well-being of our employees. In early 2022, we will continue to be a remote first company, and all employees will have optional access to in-person collaboration space in NYC and London.