Permutive is looking for a Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer to help improve our highly-scaled, automated, observable event-driven platform. We're looking for someone to join a highly talented team of two Cloud Infrastructure Engineers and a Senior DevSecOps Engineer and reporting into an Engineering Manager to continue to evangelise a first class DevOps environment in a team of 30+ Engineers and growing.
The problem we're trying to solve
We believe that computing at the edge represents a sea change in the way technology will be built, but we need a highly scaled and resilient cloud infrastructure to make that happen. We've built a horizontally scalable streaming platform that is currently serving ~60k req/s. In doing this, our technology is deployed across dozens of the world's largest web properties and is being deployed to 100's of millions of users.
As we move forward with our ambitious plans for the platform, we need an experienced engineer to help push forward its development and innovation with the latest thinking and technologies at our ever increasing scale.
Some of the challenges you will help us to solve
- How do we scale our persistent storage to provide performant write and read performance at multiple petabytes and trillions of records?
- How do we deploy and run performant analytics and machine learning across 100's of billions of events?
- How do we provide security and recoverability guarantees when consuming and producing events to/from dozens of sources?
- How do you federate and scale Kubernetes deployments across global regions?
- How do you maintain and scale an infrastructure that optimises for developers having complete observability (like monitoring, logging, traceability and live debugging)?
- How do we progressively release complete front-end to back-end features to subsets of our users and customers?
- How should we think about microservice control planes? What about data planes?
- How do we continue to allow engineers to move quickly and efficiently while maintaining the resiliency and performance necessary to operate at scale?
- What's the right balance between optimisation and time to market? Where should we make compromises and where should we not?
The wider technology context
The platform you'll deliver is the cornerstone powering our 10x growth, building services ourselves, or leveraging those from Google Cloud. Our core values of automation and delivering with a small, highly capable team mean things like infrastructure as code is a core part of our culture and are owned by the whole team.
We're huge believers in functional programming, type safety, and of building the highest quality, most scalable technology we can. We want our engineers to own as much as possible, so we believe empowering them to make (and be accountable for) big strategic decisions is one of the first steps in building a great engineering culture.
The ideal person for this role will have...
- Experience managing infrastructure at scale
- Experience running cloud infrastructure with GCP and/or AWS
- Experience building and maintaining infrastructure-as-code, automation, and observability
- Excitement about cloud-native technology, scalable data engineering, and stream processing
- Experience working closely with engineers to promote a first-class DevOps culture, helping teams to work in a more autonomous way.
We'd be particularly excited if you have one or more of the below
- Commercial experience working with Kubernetes
- A background in Software Engineering and/or a solid understanding of developing applications.
- Experience deploying and/or running service mesh in production
- Experience operating or using prometheus, including PromQL and prometheus federation
How we pay...
We take a structured, objective approach to salary-setting, which is based on market information, our compensation strategy, and your experience and capability as assessed through our interview process.
For a typical candidate meeting most of our requirements we would likely pay £90,000 + options.
For a candidate with a breadth of experience, and who meets several of our bonus criteria, we'd pay up to £125,000 + options.
- Stock options (you'll own a piece of the pie)
- Parental Leave Policy entitling new parents up to 26 weeks of leave on full pay
- Everyone has an annual learning budget of £2,400 which we encourage you to use to level up
- Time to rest and relax with unlimited paid leave (minimum expectation of 25 days annually)
- Extensive training and development opportunities
- Automatic enrolment into our pension scheme from day one
- Free access to Spill, our mental health partners
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Permutive, we’re taking a thoughtful, intersectional, long-term approach to diversity, equity & inclusion. We care deeply about creating an inclusive work environment that allows everyone to flourish, and we are taking continual action to progress in that direction. If you would like to read an outline of efforts we have already made towards becoming a more inclusive company as well as insight into what we are actively working on, you can find that information here.
How we are responding to COVID-19
We have a presence in London and New York. Permutive is a remote first company committed to working from home for all Permutive employees until February 2022. We have invested significant time and budget into ensuring that everyone is suitably equipped to manage this time period. Our guiding principle behind any decision we make will always be the health and well-being of our employees. In February 2022, we will continue to be a remote first company, and all employees will have optional access to in-person collaboration space in NYC and London.