Permutive is looking for an experienced Software Engineer who is excited to join our Platform Services team and play a key role in building new tooling, libraries, and core services to improve developer experience as we scale our engineering organization.
The Team and Technologies
Platform Services underpin the chapters in our engineering organisation and own the foundational services, libraries, and developer tools upon which other engineering teams build. They are responsible for developing new practices and standards to help scale our software and teams.
We would love to hear from Software Engineers that have knowledge or an interest in working with some of the technologies we use:
- Scala: cats, cats-effect, fs2, http4s, circe, doobie, refined
- Infrastructure: Kubernetes, Kafka, Bigtable, BigQuery, Beam, Postgres, Grafana, Terraform, TensorFlow, Cloud Run
You will be responsible for building new tooling, libraries and core services to improve developer experience at Permutive — setting us up for success as we scale the engineering organization. You will also work closely with engineers across the company to drive adoption.
The wider context
Permutive is a B2B SaaS company building the data platform and tools for a world with a trillion edge devices. We have product–market fit and customers that love us, and we’re 90+ people and growing rapidly in Europe and the US. We have received funding from some of the world’s best investors, including Y Combinator.
We’re 30+ engineers working to build an outstanding engineering culture so that everyone who joins has the opportunity and the support to do the best work of their life. Small, autonomous teams are important to us, and we want to empower everyone to make—and be accountable for—decisions through ownership.
Everything we build has to scale: our platform handles more requests each day than there are new tweets and Google searches, and each month we see more than a billion users. We think applying functional programming techniques like compositionality and type-safety is the best way to build the type of massive distributed system our platform comprises, allowing us to move fast without sacrificing quality.
The ideal candidate will have
- Experience with functional programming in Scala.
- A desire to learn share knowledge with other team members.
- Able to communicate technical concepts clearly.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Familiarity with Apache Kafka or similar messaging system.
- Familiarity with functional Scala libraries, e.g. Cats or fs2.
- Familiarity with microservices, e.g. using Kubernetes.
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS or GCP.
We'd be particularly excited if you have one or more of the below
- Prior experience working in a Platform team, supporting other engineers.
- Involvement in the Scala community with contributions to OSS projects.
- Experience with event sourcing.
We take a structured, objective approach to salary-setting, which is based on market information, our compensation strategy, and your experience and capability as assessed through our interview process.
For a candidate with knowledge of functional Scala plus some of our requirements, we would likely pay £80,000 + options.
For a candidate with commercial Scala experience, who meets several of our bonus criteria, we’d pay up to £105,000 + options.
- Stock options
- Parental Leave Policy entitling new parents up to 26 weeks of leave on full pay
- Everyone has an annual learning budget of £2,400 which we encourage you to use to level up
- Time to rest and relax with unlimited paid leave (minimum expectation of 25 days annually)
- Extensive training and development opportunities
- Cycle to work scheme
- Automatic enrolment into our pension scheme from day one
- Free access to Spill, our mental health partners
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Permutive, we’re taking a thoughtful, intersectional, long-term approach to diversity, equity & inclusion. We care deeply about creating an inclusive work environment that allows everyone to flourish, and we are taking continual action to progress in that direction. If you would like to read an outline of efforts we have already made towards becoming a more inclusive company as well as insight into what we are actively working on, you can find that information here.
How we are responding to COVID-19
We have a presence in London and New York. Permutive is a remote first company committed to working from home for all Permutive employees until February 2022. We have invested significant time and budget into ensuring that everyone is suitably equipped to manage this time period. Our guiding principle behind any decision we make will always be the health and well-being of our employees. In February 2022, we will continue to be a remote first company, and all employees will have optional access to in-person collaboration space in NYC and London.