Permutive is looking for an enthusiastic and curious Software Engineer who is excited to work and learn alongside our experienced Advertisers team.
Once up to speed here with the tools and technologies, you will use a wide range of approaches to build a functionality which solves brand new problems for our customers and helps them deliver value through our platform.
You will join a team of engineers who own the process of building new product features and managing the whole development process, including design, coding, testing, deploying, and monitoring.
The Team and Technologies
The Advertisers Team is building a greenfield product that allows advertisers to tap into the huge amount of publisher data that flows through the Permutive platform. The product supports cohort targeting, modelling & data analytics and is designed to transition advertisers away from the creepy tracking technologies that they use today to a world where user privacy is a first-class citizen. This is a new idea in the industry so adaptability and innovation are key.
We would love to hear from Software Engineers that have knowledge or an interest in working with some of the technologies we use:
- Scala: cats, cats-effect, fs2, http4s, circe, doobie, tapir
- Infrastructure: Kubernetes, Kafka, Bigtable, Redis, Postgres, Grafana, Terraform, Cloud Run
You will be responsible for helping the team to design and build out new services and components needed to make the new advertiser platform a success.
The wider context
Permutive is a B2B SaaS company building the data platform and tools for a world with a trillion edge devices. We have product–market fit and customers that love us, and we’re 90+ people and growing rapidly in Europe and the US. We have received funding from some of the world’s best investors, including Y Combinator.
We’re 30+ engineers working to build an outstanding engineering culture so that everyone who joins has the opportunity and the support to do the best work of their life. Small, autonomous teams are important to us, and we want to empower everyone to make—and be accountable for—decisions through ownership.
Everything we build has to scale: our platform handles more requests each day than there are new tweets and Google searches, and each month we see more than a billion users. We think applying functional programming techniques like compositionality and type-safety is the best way to build the type of massive distributed system our platform comprises, allowing us to move fast without sacrificing quality.
The ideal candidate will have
- Understanding of functional programming and general software engineering concepts.
- Experience with Scala programming.
- Some experience with data engineering.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good product awareness.
We'd be particularly excited if you have one or more of the below
- Familiarity with probabilistic data structures (eg Bloom filters, HLL etc).
- Experience working within user privacy constraints.
- Familiarity with Apache Kafka or similar messaging system.
- Familiarity with functional Scala libraries, e.g. Cats or fs2.
- Familiarity with microservices, e.g. using Kubernetes.
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS or GCP.
We take a structured, objective approach to salary-setting, which is based on market information, our compensation strategy, and your experience and capability as assessed through our interview process.
For a typical candidate with strong Scala experience plus most of our requirements we would likely pay £70,000 + options.
For a candidate with a breadth of experience, and who meets several of our bonus criteria, we’d pay up to £105,000 + options.
- Stock options (you'll own a piece of the pie)
- Parental Leave Policy entitling new parents up to 26 weeks of leave on full pay
- Everyone has an annual learning budget of £2,400 which we encourage you to use to level up
- Time to rest and relax with unlimited paid leave (minimum expectation of 25 days annually)
- Extensive training and development opportunities
- Automatic enrolment into our pension scheme from day one
- Free access to Spill, our mental health partners
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Permutive, we’re taking a thoughtful, intersectional, long-term approach to diversity, equity & inclusion. We care deeply about creating an inclusive work environment that allows everyone to flourish, and we are taking continual action to progress in that direction. If you would like to read an outline of efforts we have already made towards becoming a more inclusive company as well as insight into what we are actively working on, you can find that information here.
How we are responding to COVID-19
We have a presence in London and New York. At the beginning of March 2020 we made the decision to move to working from home for all Permutive employees until 2022. We have invested significant time and budget into ensuring that everyone is suitably equipped to manage this time period. Our guiding principle behind any decision we make will always be the health and well-being of our employees.