Perch is creating the next generation Consumer Products company by becoming the first technology-based scale operator of top eCommerce microbrands. Microbrands selling through marketplaces like Amazon are already transforming global retail - Amazon’s 3rd party marketplace alone was $300B in 2020. Perch is disrupting and accelerating this space by acquiring great brands and making them even better. We look for successful, profitable businesses that sell top-ranked products with differentiated customer feedback. The Perch platform integrates those businesses into a scale operating company and accelerates the products to the next level of sales and profitability. We are a key resource for entrepreneurs who want liquidity and a key partner for Amazon and other retail channels by offering exceptional products, great customer service, and great value.
Central to our success is the ability to rapidly grow and scale in an effective, responsible manner. As such, we’re seeking to hire an In-house Senior Counsel who can create and manage the commercial contracts function and related compliance functions, as well as support and advise on other legal matters, including M&A, intellectual property, marketing and employment.
This person will partner with the legal team to develop a thoughtful strategy, understand trade-offs, and deliver outcomes related to all legal matters. Responsibilities include:
- Create and manage the commercial contracts function at Perch, including developing systems, processes and templates to allow for rapid growth in an efficient and business-friendly manner.
- Provide generalist corporate support on a range of legal topics including commercial contracts and related compliance functions (e.g. privacy, security international trade, etc.), M&A, intellectual property, marketing and employment, etc.
- Support and lead template development activities including confidentiality agreements, engagement letters, letters of intent, supply chain and distribution agreements, etc.
- Draft, review and negotiate commercial contracts.
- Support Perch’s high-growth M&A processes and help with diligence and post-acquisition integration matters.
- Work with business executives and other departments and stakeholders on a broad range of complex legal, business and strategic issues as they arise in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing environment while balancing corporate policies, business procedures and legal compliance
- Research legal issues, assist in drafting company policies, playbooks and guidelines and metrics to track success.
We are looking for a creative, action-oriented Senior Counsel with a proven track record of success working in legal departments of high growth companies who wants to have an impact as we rapidly scale to grow our business. This person also has a track record of bringing structure and process to something that is inherently messy, has great attention to detail, is able to collaborate effectively with a diverse group of people, and is excited at the prospect of being a part of a rapidly growing company.
- JD degree with strong academic record, current license to practice in MA
- Minimal 8 years of related, progressive experience, 2+ years negotiating
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Practical and business-oriented approach to problem solving
- Proven contract management and contract negotiation skills
- Experience with creating and managing contract systems and tools
- Experience with consumer products and related contract needs a plus
- Self-starter who is organized with attention to detail and the ability to multi-task and prioritize effectively
- Must be a team player, able to handle ambiguity, anticipate and react to changes quickly in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to handle pressure and deadlines
Perch is one of the fastest-growing eCommerce companies in Boston. Perch acquires and develops great eCommerce brands. We are backed by amazing investors (SoftBank, Spark Capital, Tectonic Ventures, and Boston Seed). Our team has deep expertise in eCommerce, technology, and M&A. We are disrupting one of the largest and most exciting spaces of eCommerce and are building an industry-shaping platform. Our aim is to have a workplace and company that positively impacts the lives of others, including our employees, their families, the entrepreneurs and vendors we work with, and our end customers.
Perch is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.