Orchard is radically simplifying the way people buy and sell their homes. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle. Orchard has reimagined the end-to-end experience of buying and selling, from innovative home search tools to find the perfect home to the ability to buy a new home before selling your current one. Orchard customers manage the entire experience through a personalized online dashboard, while also getting the support of best-in-class Orchard real estate agents.
Headquartered in New York City and with offices in Austin, Denver and Atlanta, Orchard has over 200 employees and has grown 10x year over year. We have raised over $130 million in equity financing from top-tier investors including Revolution, Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose. Our investors have also backed the likes of Pinterest, AirBnb, Shopify and Sweetgreen.
About the Role
Orchard is looking for a General Manager to successfully launch its operations and implement its growth strategy in Northern Virginia and Maryland. You will be responsible for building and managing the local team, market-level profitability, daily operations, inventory management and renovations. The ideal candidate has operations management experience leading a business unit or with P&L responsibility. This is a full time role that will report into the Head of Field Operations and be based out of our Northern Virginia and Maryland markets.
What You’ll Do Here
- Develop and implement the growth strategy and profitability goals in your market by collaborating with Sales, Marketing, and Investments.
- Build and manage a local operations team of acquisition, renovation and asset management specialists.
- Help set and manage your team’s goals, monitor team productivity, and drive workplace and cultural norms that align with Orchard’s company values.
- Lead Orchard's home acquisition and disposition process in your market.
- Oversee the evaluation and underwriting of prospective homes for purchase by helping set asset-level pricing and sales decisions.
- Build, manage, and represent Orchard to a network of third-party vendors to support Orchard’s business operations..
- Partner with the Head of Field Operations to ensure all KPI targets are met. You will monitor market-level KPIs/metrics on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis and develop initiatives to optimize them.
We’d Love to Hear From You if You Have:
- 7+ years prior experience in an operations management role involving both digital and real-world operations with experience leading a business unit and/or managing a P&L.
- Experience leading a large cross-functional team, including working closely with operators.
- Experience in single-family residential real estate (e.g. experience with single-family residential investing/operations, homebuilding, or brokerage) preferred, but not required
- Experience using software to manage operations -- Salesforce, Looker, and Google Suite is a plus
- Deep knowledge of the Northern Virginia and Maryland real estate markets and have lived in the area for 2+ years.
- Highly effective at building collaborative relationships across our entire organization.
- Customer empathy with a mindset of finding ways to balance delivering a superior customer experience and a successful operational and financial outcome for our business.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and sees ambiguity as opportunity, and obstacles as chances to build new solutions.
- High energy, passion, and are action-oriented with a history of getting things done in complex, fast moving environments. Successful in scrappy and entrepreneurial environments, with a drive to get things done.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail with a data-driven mentality.
- Track record of good business judgment with maturity, diplomacy, and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- An ability to juggle multiple projects at once and can manage time effectively to prioritize work based on business and operational needs.
We're proud to be recognized by Inc. Magazine, Fast Company and Forbes as one of the best workplaces of 2020. We also have a 4.9 Glassdoor rating! Orchard is building the first one-stop-shop in real estate and we’re bringing together the most innovative professionals across real estate, business, marketing, technology and design. We also have some pretty great perks:
- Equity participation
- Flexible PTO
- Up to 18 weeks of paid family leave
- Employee discount on Orchard’s services
Orchard is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.