Orchard is radically simplifying the way people buy and sell their homes. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle. Orchard has reimagined the end-to-end experience of buying and selling, from innovative home search tools to find the perfect home to the ability to buy a new home before selling your current one. Orchard customers manage the entire experience through a personalized online dashboard, while also getting the support of best-in-class Orchard real estate agents.
Headquartered in New York City and with offices in Austin, Denver and Atlanta, Orchard has over 200 employees and has grown 10x year over year. We have raised over $130 million in equity financing from top-tier investors including Revolution, Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose. Our investors have also backed the likes of Pinterest, AirBnb, Shopify and Sweetgreen.
About the Role
Orchard is looking for a User Research Lead to play an instrumental role in shedding light on the key human moments in the Orchard experience and identifying new opportunities for both the business and our customers. Customer research has been a fundamental part of our strategy and process at Orchard and we are excited to bring on our first dedicated researcher.
This is a full time role that will report into the Head of Design and be based out of our growing New York City office.
What You’ll Do Here
- Conduct research across the product cycle, to generate tactical and strategic insights as well as actionable recommendations which drive product innovation and design improvements.
- Conduct generative research to identify new opportunities and add clarity to the problem space, maximizing the impact of the work of the product and design teams
- Support and mentor product designers to improve the research practice across the organization.
- Find creative and compelling ways to present and evangelize insights throughout the company.
- Create a toolbox of research methodologies such as surveys, interviews, usability studies, ethnographic observation, individual interviews, group sessions, etc. to deliver new insights about our users.
- Share findings with designers, engineers, product managers, and others in a consistent and accessible way to create a smarter, more informed and more empathetic product team.
- Operationalize and scale the design research practice at Orchard
We’d Love to Hear From You if You Have:
- A graduate degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, or a related field
- 7+ years experience conducting research within organizations
- Comfort coaching and supporting product designers and at the same time, be excited to be hands on and focused on executing high impact, strategic research initiatives
- Experience using qualitative data to drive success on mobile products
- Strong listening, analytical, and organizational skills
- Bonus: experience working on mobile products and/or products that span the digital and in person experience
We're proud to be recognized by Inc. Magazine, Fast Company and Forbes as one of the best workplaces of 2020. We also have a 4.9 Glassdoor rating! Orchard is building the first one-stop-shop in real estate and we’re bringing together the most innovative professionals across real estate, business, marketing, technology and design. We also have some pretty great perks:
- Equity participation
- Flexible PTO
- Up to 18 weeks of paid family leave
- Employee discount on Orchard’s services
Orchard is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.