Orchard is transforming the way people buy and sell their homes. Simplifying it, to the way it should have always been; fair and true to market, straightforward, easy. Every year in the U.S., $1.5 trillion of single-family residences transact, generating over $120 billion of fees in a process that has changed little in decades. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle.
Orchard offers a modern alternative, making one of life's biggest decisions – the sale and purchase of a home – stress free, fair and simple.
Orchard launched in 2017 and was previously known as Perch. The company is headquartered in New York City, has 150+ employees and has grown 10x year over year. We have raised over $300 million in financing from top tier investors including: Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose.
Role and Responsibilities
Orchard is looking for an Associate General Counsel to join our dynamic and rapidly growing team. As the second member of the Legal team, you are ready to roll up your sleeves and make an immediate impact. You will play a key role in our rapidly growing business, partnering with our General Counsel and other teams across the company to help build and evolve our product offerings, expand to new jurisdictions, and grow the business, all while balancing business objectives and legal risk across the multiple highly-regulated sectors in which we operate.
You will act as a legal swiss-army knife, comfortable working independently across several different legal practice areas, but with a particular focus on commercial issues, the negotiation and drafting of complex contracts, and the legal and regulatory framework governing residential real estate. You also will be involved in a range of issues related to partnerships, IP licensing, trademarks, patents, and privacy and data security. Since Orchard is an early stage growth company, you also may have the opportunity to work on both equity and debt financings, involving both venture capital as well as traditional debt and equity capital providers. Experience in the real estate industry, in particular in the areas of brokerage, title or mortgage, or experience with the laws and regulatory framework related to lending, including but not limited to the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), the Fair Housing Act (FHAct), the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), and RESPA is a major plus but not a requirement.
As we continue to grow the business and the legal department with it, the Associate General Counsel will be expected to take a leadership role in building structures and processes to drive operational efficiency.
The ideal candidate is a highly self-motivated, business-minded attorney who enjoys operating autonomously, can successfully navigate ambiguity, and can manage multiple projects and competing priorities comfortably. This person brings extraordinary judgment and interpersonal skills to the role. While highly effective and an innovative thinker, you take a humble approach to your job, allowing your work to speak for itself. By building a track record of sound advice and success, you will become a trusted advisor to senior leadership and teams across the company. We are looking for candidates who are excited about the opportunity to help grow Orchard’s business in an entrepreneurial yet compliant manner, while working with diverse groups of stakeholders to get things done in a complex and fast-moving environment.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Broad-based legal generalist with 5-10 years of experience in the commercial and/or corporate transactional space, gained through a combination of law firm and in-house roles of increasing visibility and responsibility.
- Solid experience in commercial contracts supporting active business development and product development, including leading negotiations with large companies and developing large-scale commercial partnerships.
- Experience navigating the application of evolving and sometimes overlapping regulations in a commercial context.
- Experience in the real estate industry, in particular in the areas of brokerage, title or mortgage, including experience with RESPA or the laws and regulatory framework related to lending, including but not limited to the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), the Fair Housing Act (FHAct), and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA) is a major plus but not a requirement.
- An entrepreneur who sees ambiguity as opportunity, and obstacles as chances to build new solutions
- Can successfully work independently with little guidance, but also use good judgment and escalate issues when needed.
- Eager to collaborate and effective at building strong relationships with people across a variety of functional teams, skill sets and levels of professional experience.
- Demonstrated drive for results, work ethic and ability to prioritize risks and projects to focus on what’s important, get things done, and seize opportunities.
- Excellent planning and organization skills; meticulous attention to detail is a must.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong academic credentials and state bar admission in good standing.