Orchard is transforming the way people buy and sell their homes. Simplifying it, to the way it should have always been; fair and true to market, straightforward, easy. Every year in the U.S., $1.5 trillion of single family residences transact, generating over $120 billion of fees in a process that has changed little in decades. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety and is filled with uncertainty and hassle.
Orchard offers a modern alternative, making one of life's biggest decisions -- the sale and purchase of a home –stress free, fair and simple.
Orchard launched in 2017 and was previously known as Perch. The company is headquartered in New York City, has 100+ employees and has grown 10x year over year. We have raised over $300 million in financing from top tier investors including: Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose.
Role and Responsibilities
Orchard is seeking a Director of Brand Design to join our team. This is an early-stage opportunity to join a company that is transforming the way people buy and sell their homes.
The Director of Brand Design is responsible for ensuring we have a consistent brand identity across our marketing collateral, offline branding, website, and digital products. You will ensure we have a flexible and scalable style guide and work collaboratively across teams to ensure consistent implementation. You will be comfortable balancing having high standards with knowing when “good enough” is sufficient – a critical skill at a fast-growing company. The ideal candidate will be an evangelist for human-centered design and ensure the customer is top of mind with our design choices.
This role is based in NYC and will report to our to-be-hired Head of Design. This role will manage a visual designer. This is a full-time, salaried role with equity package.
The ideal candidate will excel in these areas:
- Visual Design – skilled hands-on visual designer who can go from strategy to high-fidelity execution, drawing on years of experience. You understand how copy interplays with visual design.
- Creative Vision – you love the opportunity to concept new campaigns and take our brand design to the next level.
- Multiple Mediums – you will know how to incorporate photography (stock + custom) and illustration (custom) into our site and collateral design
- Collaboration - creates a culture of creativity and driving results. Brings out the best in people and knows how to work with different partners to bring brand alive, particularly with marketing and product
- Bias for Action - we are a company that makes informed decisions quickly. You must be comfortable in a very fast-paced environment.
- Develop our style guide and ensure it is easily accessible to other designers and team members to draw on
- Lead marketing collateral creation by partnering with marketing on campaign ideas and then bringing them to life. This will particularly include TV, Digital Video, and Out-of-Home.
- Ensure marketing collateral production on digital assets (Facebook), direct mail, and other high-volume channels keeps up with team needs. This can be via internal team members and freelancers as needed
- Partner with marketing and product on how we tell our story and represent the brand on key pages of our site
- Look for ways to bring our brand to life throughout the customer journey (ie our For Sale yard signs)
- Ensure our brand design comes alive in everything we do – down to company swag and interview candidate experience
Required Skills / Experience
- At least 7+ years prior brand design experience in a growth stage B2C business
- Experience designing for web and offline marketing collateral
- Comfortable being a player-coach – you will be doing hands-on design work
- Demonstrated track record of success in developing new brand campaigns and ownable brand design elements
- People describe you as:
- Having high standards
- Strong drive for results
- A great collaborator
- Having a low ego