Since 2011, People’s Prep has successfully provided a high-performing, college-preparatory high school for Newark students and their families. Our mission is to prepare all of our students to graduate from the college of their choice as informed, involved, and resilient citizens. Our students demonstrate a marked improvement in standardized testing, school attendance, and a broad range of academic and non-academic measures. Our school is committed to facing every challenge along this path and to working alongside our students and families to meet them.
The Talent Manager is responsible for ensuring that People’s Prep has the policies, processes, and people necessary to strive towards achieving our mission to graduate students from the college of their choice. The Talent Manager must be a go-getter who will execute teacher and staff searches aggressively and use their creativity and resourcefulness to develop new approaches to recruitment and retention. To be successful in this role, the Talent Manager will work very closely with each member of the school’s Administrative Team as well as the HR Manager. This role reports directly to the school’s Director. The Talent Manager will always model our core values of Grit, Empathy, Achievement, Curiosity, Humility, and Enthusiasm for current staff and potential staff members. Our students deserve the best-of-the-best, and the Talent Manager is chiefly responsible for ensuring that our students get exactly that.
Qualifications and Characteristics
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree and previous teaching experience preferred.
- Unwavering belief in and commitment to the school, its mission, its students, and its staff.
- Comfort and experience with topics of race, class, and gender and how they relate to employee experience, satisfaction, and performance.
- Performs well and displays flexibility in a fast-paced environment.
- Is trustworthy, models candor, and acts with the highest level of integrity at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask effectively and prioritize strategically.
- Strong desire for feedback and willingness to take personal responsibility.
- Approachable and able to quickly and effectively build relationships and motivate a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Partner with the Director to craft and execute an integrated vision for Talent at People’s Prep that aligns with the organizational goals. This vision and accompanying plan will include the following: attracting and recruiting new staff, onboarding, leadership development, performance evaluations, employee experience, succession planning, awards, and separations.
- Work with the Director and Director of Curriculum and Instruction to advance and reinforce the school’s participation in a social justice movement by collaborating with school leaders to ensure training and professional development opportunities exist that recognize the influence of race, identity, power, and privilege and its impact on staff, families, and students.
- Promote a culture that ensures a high retention rate of teachers and staff despite the challenges of the work.
- Collaborate closely with the Director and other school-based managers to facilitate strong teacher satisfaction and retention through the integration and alignment of effective performance systems, response to staff surveys and exit interview data, and the implementation of talent development systems.
- Directly support individual school leaders by coordinating a smooth, tailored recruitment process from identification of qualified applicants through all steps leading to hiring decision.
- Write and revise job descriptions on an annual basis or as needed.
- Determine candidate qualifications through interviews, candidate projects, references, and feedback from school leaders.
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with candidates post-hire and create avenues for unsolicited referrals.
- Create and maintain systems to track the effectiveness of recruitment strategies and onboarding practices and adjust as necessary.