The School Nurse will oversee all school health policies and programs. He/she collaborates fully with teachers, the Child Study Team, support staff, and school leaders to provide expertise and oversight for the provision of school health services and the promotion of health education and serves as a liaison between school personnel, family, community, and healthcare providers to advocate for healthcare and a healthy school environment. The School Nurse will report directly to the Dean of Student Interventions. All People’s Prep teachers and staff serve as models for our students by bringing to life our core values.
Qualifications and Certification
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing required.
- New Jersey school nurse certification.
- Firm commitment to and belief in People’s Prep’s mission.
- Excellent verbal and written skills in communicating with diverse audiences.
- Openness to feedback and willingness to take personal responsibility for student well-being.
- Develop and maintain an accurate, complete file on each student with documentation of relevant health records, required immunizations, and information on pre-existing medical conditions.
- Conduct all necessary screenings and maintains accurate documentation in a timely manner.
- Accept, keep, and dispenses prescribed medications at appropriate intervals after obtaining required documentation from families and/or physicians.
- Initiate contact with families or alternate contact persons in the event of serious illness, injury, or other medical emergencies.
- Collect and enter health data into an administrative database.
- Serve as the primary liaison between the school and family for medical 504s.
- Communicate in a calm, knowledgeable manner regarding health-related advisories and potential crises.
- Monitor compliance of school health program with federal, state, and local laws and agencies.
- Teach and enforce the school-wide, clearly defined systems, structures, and rules (including before and after school and during transition times).
- Team with other 10- and 12-month employees to complete Home Visits for all incoming students.
- Complete other duties upon request by the School Leaders.
- Be available via phone and/or email throughout the evening and weekend to communicate with families, teammates, and school leaders.
- Complete administrative tasks in a timely manner.
- Attend all school-wide events, including during evenings and weekends.