ABOUT THE ROLE
Peloton is looking for a self-motivated, dynamic attorney with 7+ years experience in digital music licensing to help support key business, media and music functions, including for internal clients from our Music, Product, Marketing, Content and Brand teams. The person in this role will be responsible for advising internal clients, assisting with negotiation of music licensing partnerships, and managing outside counsel in connection with music licensing and commercial transactions. This position requires a thorough understanding of Peloton’s multifaceted business, including its partners, members, and competitors, in order to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Primarily responsible for providing legal support for our Music Team in structuring, developing, and managing Peloton’s North American music business and licensing efforts
- Serve as the primary contact within the Peloton Legal Team responsible for management and execution of Peloton North American music matters, including licensing schemes and assisting with business relations
- Develop and implement best practices and process improvements for various music and business audiences within and external to Peloton
- Advise music, technology, and finance teams on legal issues, opportunities, and risks, regulatory matters, complex agreement structures, approval processes, and intellectual property matters related to Peloton’s music licensing and strategy, including licensing deals, artist collaborations, and music partnerships
- Demonstrate a keen ability to issue-spot sensitive legal and business concerns within complex programs and business materials, and a strong sense of when to escalate (and not escalate) those matters to internal partners and/or other stakeholders
- Strong working knowledge of North American copyright law and related rights, including recent reforms and proposed regulations, and Canadian rights schemes
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex digital music and content licensing agreements with digital service providers, distributors, record labels, music publishers, artists, performance rights organizations, aggregators and content creators across Peloton’s current territories and beyond
- Superior critical thinking skills, with a bias for action and confidence to make informed decisions that have both legal and business implications
- Strong business and legal relationships throughout the industry is a plus
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with an aptitude for working cross-functionally
- Superb organizational skills and ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects at once
- Ability to collaborate with all personality types, including creatives and other entertainment industry players
- Knowledge about the music, entertainment and media industries, related legal trends and business practices
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced, disruptive business
- 7+ years’ experience at a top law firm or in-house practice focusing on multi-territory digital music licensing deals, entertainment deals and partnerships, and ancillary matters (in-house experience is preferred)
- J.D., Member in good standing of the NY or comparable State Bar
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: email@example.com
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email firstname.lastname@example.org before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.