We are looking for a passionate API Engineering Manager who is enthusiastic about and has experience in leading a team of engineers building scalable, secure APIs. At Peloton, you will have the opportunity to rapidly change the face of the fitness industry. You will be working in a high velocity software engineering environment, elevating and defining a team that speaks to the workout experience, to all Peloton consumers. You will be responsible for building out a new team, leading large scale projects, working with cross functional teams and advocating for customer experience in workouts. Ultimately, you will be leading a team that will not only enhance the Peloton workout experience, but also bring it to millions of more members.
Power the Peloton Experience
As a member of Peloton’s Product Engineering API team you’ll be building out technology solutions that enable a world class user experience across the Peloton platform for a global audience. We enable our members to take live and on-demand classes across any number of fitness disciples, send each other high-fives, compete on the leaderboard, take part in challenges, discover new music, and much more. You will be leading and building out a team of talented engineers in ensuring our members get the best possible experience.
Design and Development
- Assume technical leadership for APIs that power and are driven by member’s interactions
- Identify and lead technical initiatives to build clean, robust, and performant systems.
- Contribute to the design of software architecture and development of new features and functionalities in the stack.
- Support-what-you-build, including monitoring, performance tuning, and responding to incidents.
- Staff and lead a team of engineers responsible for our member interaction APIs.
- Lead, coach, and mentor API developers.
- Mentor software engineers from diverse backgrounds to nurture a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, and engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns and industry best practices.
- Instill a culture of automation, re-use and engineering efficiency.
- Architect a vision for how, long term, we can engage, retain, empower, and motivate members through world class backend engineering.
Drive large-scale projects
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members from Product, Design, Platform, Program Management in order to define and deliver against quarterly and annual roadmap objectives.
- Handle planning and breaking down large projects into milestones and identifying risks and dependencies.
- 5+ years of software development experience, with experience building complex backend systems
- 2+ years of leadership experience in team leadership and technology management
- Passion for building a scalable backend architecture that supports a rapid growing user base
- Well proven understanding of system design, API design and database design
- Ability to evaluate and communicate different engineering solutions and trade-offs
- Experience working with Agile methodology and delivery of quality software as part of an Agile team
- Ability to identify strengths and weaknesses of individuals in order to maximize team effectiveness; provide guidance to individuals when needed for coaching or mentoring
- Ability to mediate between competing technical priorities; align priorities and goals through collaboration with technical leads and product managers
- Effectively communicate between teams and within teams in order to drive alignment and increase effectiveness on delivery
BONUS POINTS IF YOU:
- Experience with transitioning from a monolith to a SOA
- Experience with Python and Kotlin development
- Roll up your sleeves and take on development work
Please note: This is a full-time position that will be remote initially (due to COVID-19) and based in our NYC HQ or Santa Clara, CA office once safe to re-open our offices.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email email@example.com before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.