The Tooling Engineer(Metal) is responsible for optimizing the tooling development from tooling design to production sustaining with ODMs(Original Design Manufacturer) and CMs (Contract Manufacturers) with consideration in both throughput and quality, while also advice on optimizing part & assembly design for manufacturing (DFM) with internal design and engineering team. The ideal candidate should have hands on experience with hydroforming tooling and process design and/or tool trial trouble shooting on site. Experienced with progressive dies, stage dies, transfer dies, tool steel selection, deep draw, high speed stamping, forging, surface coating and heat treating are important traits of an ideal candidate as well.
To support quality delivery of the program, the Tooling Engineer will also draft supplier-facing tooling requirement and maintenance plan based on product demand and design requirement, collect tooling information for company asset database, participate tool trial activities, and conduct supplier capability studies to ensure tool quality.
For long term company growth, the Tooling Engineer will also contribute to the building of simulation model for tooling and part costs analysis, knowledge library for advanced material and fabrication, and tooling input for product design requirements.
The Tooling Engineer will also provide day-to-day technical support for internal teams and CMs/ODMsc, including engineering changes implementation on tooling, part availability tracking and schedule discussion, cost reduction and continuous improvement in both quality and takt time, hands-on implementation of the improvements on the manufacturing floor.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with cross-functional engineering teams to ensure robust DFM/DFA, providing expertise in material & process selection, tooling design and material requirement, process audit and tooling qualification plan
- Participate in early development phase vendor capability evaluation, technical discussion of part fabrication, manufacturing process required to meet cosmetic and functional requirement
- Tooling design validation, including continuous supplier/tool maker discussion and CAE simulation to trouble-shoot.
- Collaborate with Quality team to define SOP in part inspection and technical support for PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)
- Work with ODMs and CMs to provide engineering support in problem solving and root cause analysis that are tooling related, then understand and help refining technical requirements for products and processes for future and on-going productions
- Creates and manages tooling maintenance requirements at vendor site. Conduct tooling audits to confirm quality of maintenance as needed
- Partners with Peloton Supply Chain to identify, analyze, and qualify new suppliers.
- Analyzes factory capacity and capability through conducting supplier audit on site, work with supplier to recommend equipment purchases, performs financial payback analysis, and submits Capital Expenditure requests to management
- Researches and recommends new applications for existing materials, products, and processes to provide revenue growth opportunities for Peloton
- Voice of Peloton manufacturing on cross-functional teams.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
Education and Experience
- Four-year college degree or equivalence to show understanding of Engineering principles is required. Mechanical or Manufacturing is preferred.
- 5 or more years Engineering experience in a hands-on manufacturing environment is required (NPI to volume MFG stage)
- Expertise in process development and quality control of highly cosmetic components highly regarded.
- Experience in fabrication processes – sheet metal processing in both hydroforming and stamping, CNC machining, complex assembly, welding, surface finishing, post processes that includes heat treating, plating, anodizing, milling, polishing and grinding etc
- Microsoft Office applications, CAD (SolidWorks preferred)/CAE
- Interpret engineering drawings, tolerances, GD&T
- Value-Stream Mapping, Process Mapping, Kaizen, Lean, 5S, Statistical Process Control
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email email@example.com before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.