The Monolithic API is a mission-critical application that sits at the crossroads of every request that comes through our system. On any given day a few dozen teams work out of this codebase. The Monolith team ensures the smooth running of this application by tackling matters of end-to-end scalability, security, reliability, observability, and deployability.
This team is often tasked with determining root cause and solving complex low-level system issues related to the API’s performance such as CPU spikes, build and deploy failures and latencies, scaling issues, security issues, and more.
Being part of this team will lend you the opportunity to make an impact not just within your team but the engineering organization as a whole. We are soon kicking off exciting cross-team projects such as multi-region deployments for the monolith as well as and monolith to microservices migration and being the staff engineer on this team will lend you the opportunity to have a meaningful voice for these strategic high-visibility projects.
- Lead delivery of small to large initiatives including guiding the team to make strategic technical decisions to enable delivery outcomes, set expectations with and maintain relationships with key stakeholders.
- Lead architecture meetings and technical discussions with the focus of reaching consensus and best practice solutions
- Participate in breaking down monolithic legacy applications through becoming an expert in our business logic and leveraging new technology
- Identify and drive impactful projects that help scaling, developer experience, enhance security and introduce automation.
- Focus on the whole team’s productivity and strive to maximize the impact of the team’s work product
- Lead, coach, pair with, and mentor backend software engineers of diverse backgrounds
- Nurture a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, and engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns and industry best practices
- Engage in code reviews helping maintain our coding standards
- 5+ years of experience developing high-performance web application systems
- 2+ years as a tech lead of a group of three or more software engineers
- 8+ years of experience with one or more object-oriented programming language like Python, Kotlin, Java etc
- Good active listening skills, the ability to empathize with customers, stakeholders and other engineers
- Experience working using Agile methodology in a fast-paced environment
- At least three demonstrable experiences in leading the deployments of systems into production
- A self-directed individual with excellent time management skills
- Have a solid understanding of clean software design principles
- Experience mentoring engineers with the team-focused mentality for success
- Experience with multiple database engines (Postgres, MySql)
- Experience with distributed systems, CI/CD (ex: Jenkins) tools, and containerizing applications (ex: Kubernetes)
- Work with development teams to understand test automation gaps and implement coverage
- Material experience with various web services frameworks such as Spring, Flask or similar
- Have experience using monitoring and metrics to support KPIs and performance of APIs
- Communicate effectively with business stakeholders
- Github project(s) or contribute to open source communities
- Hands on experience decomposing monoliths into microservices
- Hands-on experience designing and building event-driven architectures
- Experience with XP practices such as pair programming and Test Driven Development
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.