Peloton is seeking a Director, UI Design to to support the innovation, iteration, and optimization of our Bike, Tread, and Applications, as well as the development of future Peloton products.
This role sits on the User Interface Design team within the Product Design Software & UX Research team. Our Director of UI Design will work cross functionally with other discipline teams - including UX Design, Product Design Ops, User Research, and UX Prototype Engineering. There will also be collaboration with other Peloton teams including Product Management, Industrial Design, Engineering, Brand Creative, Content Production et. al.
It will help lead the UI Design team alongside other Directors/Leads of UI Design responsible for the visual design of Peloton’s product software platforms and features. This role will drive our visual standards, styles, elements, and systems, and ensure consistency and holism in the design of our software products.
Notably, this role and team focuses heavily on aesthetics and interaction: ensuring the look and feel of Peloton software for all Peloton Members across different platforms and screens is of the utmost quality and in line with the Peloton brand; and with special care taken to ensure usability, legibility, visual hierarchy, and accessibility. It collaborates heavily with other specialized roles that hold the baton at other stages in the process: notably Product Managers (that defines the strategic roadmap, defines features, and prioritizes work) and UX (that defines functionality, user flows, edge cases and states, and generally “how features work”).
- Help lead the UI Design team at Peloton with a “player/coach” mentality.
- Lead a subsection of the UI Design Team alongside their other Director of UI peers, reporting to the Senior Director of UI Design.
- Management of direct reports (approximately 3-7).
- Responsible for UI Design on various workstreams, via direct reports.
- Provide mentorship and help develop individuals on the UI Design team.
- Work to unblock UI Design team members and provide support in removing impediments and distractions.
- Support UI Designers on larger and/or higher profile projects as needed.
- Help guide UI Designers’ near and long-term planning of projects, and guide the design process – e.g. helping them to understand when to diverge and explore vs. converge on a solution.
- Evangelize the importance of quality UI execution and visual branding in Peloton’s software.
- Work with senior members of the UI Design team to build, evolve, and document Peloton’s UI Design systems to improve visual aesthetics and streamline designer onboarding, feature design, and dev implementation.
- Work with Design Ops and UI Designers to organize design files and artifacts, and component and iconography libraries. And ensure at scale that all the teams work is preserved, transferable, and up to date.
- Evolve Peloton’s UI Design processes and tools.
- Ensure that Peloton’s features are designed with accessibility and inclusion top of mind; and embed this approach into our design process for scale.
- Works with other UI design leaders to develop the UI Design team’s brand in and outside of Peloton.
- Work with Peloton’s Product Engineering team to improve the interplay between design and engineering execution on specific workstreams assigned.
- Distinctly visually minded.
- Balances refined aesthetics with a strong understanding of software interfaces and UX.
- Has a user-centered approach to product design.
- Comfortable juggling a wide range of responsibilities at the same time.
- Has a collaborative, low-ego approach to working with others.
- Has a systematic, component and style based approach to UI design that ensures consistency (while not being afraid to depart from existing components when needed.)
- Process driven, but flexible to unique scenarios, projects, and personnel.
- Incredible attention to detail and meticulous organization
- Continually looking to optimize and improve UI design output.
- Balances direction with empowerment.
- Can lead team members with a variety of working styles
- Quickly adapts to unexpected changes in scale, priorities, and pace.
- Experienced in managing, recruiting and growing a UI Design team.
- Experienced with a variety of UI design subdisciplines and deliverables including style guides, UI kit, and design system development; animation; rendering; illustration; iconography; typography.
- Experience in designing for accessibility and inclusivity.
- Experienced in working with user researchers, UX designers, copywriters, engineers and product managers to drive strategy, vision, and execution.
- 6+ years of experience in UI/Product Design including:
- Recent experience in a product development setting within a consumer tech and software company.
- 3+ years managing UI Design teams
- A portfolio of relevant UI Design work, executed either by yourself or a team that you led, that conveys an ability to drive a systems-based visual design style into highly usable and highly functional applications.
- Experience managing a UI Design team that completed projects on:
- Integrated hardware/software consumer products.
- Content/media–based products
- Localized products across international markets.
- Mixed-interaction software applications (touch, remote, mouse and keyboard) and mixed-platform and screen sizes.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email email@example.com before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.