The Leaderboard Engineering team is responsible for the core leaderboard experience when someone takes a Peloton class. The leaderboard shows a person’s real time ranking or presence in the class. It is one of the most heavily used features and serves some of the largest traffic within the Peloton system.
The team is innovating on new and improved user experiences and tackling some of the most challenging problems at scale facing Peloton. We are looking for an experienced engineering manager who is passionate about and has a track record of building scalable distributed applications to join this team.
- Evolve Leaderboard product and technical roadmap and drive for its execution.
- Manage and grow a team of software engineers responsible for developing and improving Peloton’s leaderboard system.
- Establish processes to effectively improve engineering and operational excellence.
- Identify and drive the adoption of new technologies, architecture and skill sets for the team to take on new challenges.
- Partner closely with Recruiting to effectively identify and hire strong software engineers.
- Motivate and drive a continuous performance-based culture within the team. Provide adequate management support for the team in the form of team meetings, 1:1’s and other forums as needed to support the group and individual development objectives of team members.
- Coach and mentor software engineers. Foster their career growth through setting objectives, regular feedback, and sharing best practices.
- Lead by example to actively maintain and build a culture of learning, respect, transparency, and trust.
- Collaborate cross functionally with Engineering, Product, Product Research, Design, Program Management, and others to develop short- and long-term roadmaps and execution plans.
- Handle planning and breaking down large projects; Manage program and project risks appropriately; Identify and mitigate internal and cross-functional dependencies and blockers.
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders
- Drive technical decision making through objectively assessing trade offs based on architecture, scope, business priorities, and impacts to product experience.
- Leverage a strong technical foundation and experience to provide appropriate guidance in a team of senior and staff software engineers.
- 3+ years of hands-on technical management experience.
- 8+ years of relevant software development experience. Demonstrable experience in having improved reliability and scalability of high traffic applications.
- Experience in and good understanding of large scale and highly performant distributed systems architecture and principles as it relates to request processing, caching, storage, partitioning, and replication.
- Experience setting a strong vision and roadmap for the team; Actively involved in setting team’s long term goals and execution plans.
- Familiarity with CI/CD and how to incorporate test automation into development workflows.
- Experience working with Agile methodology and delivery of quality software as part of an Agile team.
- Demonstrable experience shipping several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
- Ability to mediate between competing product and technical priorities; align priorities and goals through collaboration with technical leads and product managers.
- Experience with coaching and mentoring software engineers at different stages in their career, including senior and staff level engineers. Able to demonstrate the ability to identify the strength and weaknesses of individuals in order to maximize team effectiveness.
- Experience hiring talented engineers at different levels.
Please note: This is a full-time position that will be remote initially (due to COVID-19) and based in our New York City HQ or Santa Clara, CA office once safe to re-open the offices.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email email@example.com before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.