At Peloton, we work across an incredible range of technology domains: hardware, firmware, web, mobile, backend, data, messaging, content, streaming, and--or course--machine learning. We get to apply these to create a platform of products loved by millions of customers all over the world. Peloton's Platform organization provides the foundation and guiding hand that enables all of the engineering teams at Peloton to build technology faster and scale safely with minimal effort. We are seeking a Senior Principal Engineer to guide the evolution of our technology as we scale every part of our business.
Reporting to the VP of Platform, you will serve as the chief architect for Peloton. This is not a whiteboard role, but a hands-on engineer-as-leader who will team with the most senior engineers and engineering leaders across Peloton to help us navigate some big questions. Here are just a few of the challenges you will help us with in your first year: What is the best architecture to move our monolith to unlock parallelism without resulting in toxic fragmentation? What should be included in our developer frameworks to strike the right balance between consistency and innovation? How do we optimize performance end-to-end, from device to backend and data, across multiple product lines and geographies? How do we test at scale, from hardware and streamed content to backend systems, in a hyper-growth environment? When should we build vs buy to optimize time-to-market and best-in-class experience. How do we create safeguards against vendor lock-in? Additional challenges will be more meta questions, such as: how do we govern architectural direction and decisions across such a multi-disciplined company? Where do we make the right decisions to balance local autonomy and consistency? What tools do we bring to the table for design and decision-making (ADRs, Tech Radars, Architecture Councils, SIGs, etc.)?
This role is a "first-ever" engineering opportunity at Peloton. You will help us evolve not only our technology but also the practice of engineering. Your impact will be widely visible, across Peloton and through our involvement in the tech industry.
Be a strong engineering voice alongside other leaders through advising and driving Peloton's tech vision and strategy.
- Partner with senior engineers and engineering leadership to define, drive, and evolve engineering craftsmanship and sustainable practices across Peloton for architecture, technology selection, technology decision-making, design, development, and more.
- Represent the discipline of engineering at Peloton in settings, internal and external, where deep knowledge of our tech stack is needed
- Take responsibility for the planning, execution and release of complex technical initiatives that span multiple business units and departments, defining architectural vision and provide leadership for teams for design, sequencing, execution, and problem solving.
- Be a technical leader within Platform, influencing and dring technical investments across teams with a "Platform Thinking" mindset.
- Review designs, tech decisions and code, to ensure they are high quality, efficient, data-driven and documented.
- Find ways to spread learning and knowledge sharing across Platform and Peloton, with a focus on empowering distributed decision making without risking toxic fragmentation. Create structures, forums, and practices to level-up our engineering practice. Mentoring our most senior engineers in ways to also spread knowledge and balanced technical decision-making .
- A strong background in platforms, infrastructure, and engineering tooling. You have deep domain knowledge in developer tooling, CI/CD, test infrastructure, network perimeters and service meshes, orchestration, cloud computing (commodity and managed services) and IAM practices (customer-facing and internal). Experience in IoT, hardware, or firmware is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience working on large scale, distributed infrastructure systems--preferably those undergoing hyper-growth in an environment characterized by rapid change
- Proven knowledge and experience in multiple languages: Python, Go, Java, Scala. You are an excellent communicator and storyteller, communicating concepts and ideas in different formats, depending on context. You can receive feedback while being assertive when needed. You know how to influence decision-making at all levels of the company, working across organizational boundaries using a variety of communication styles and formats.
- Balanced the ability to design the practice of engineering with the ability to still become hands-on when needed, to ensure decisions and ideas are based on real-world data and practical executability.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.