We are looking for a passionate backend engineer who is enthusiastic about and has experience building scalable, low latency and secure systems. At Peloton, you will have the opportunity to rapidly change the face of the fitness industry. You will be working in a high velocity software engineering environment, in a team, building systems which service fitness content to all Peloton consumers over connected and digital devices. You will be responsible for leading large scale projects, collaborating within the team, and with cross functional teams on estimating project scopes, setting milestones, as well as identifying project risks and dependencies.
Design and Development
- Assume technical responsibility for new services and functionality, lookout for opportunities for platform improvement, and work with engineers to scale our production systems.
- Identify and lead technical initiatives to build clean, robust, and performant applications.
- Contribute to the design of software architecture and development of new features and functionalities in the stack.
- Lead, coach, pair with, and mentor junior backend software engineers.
- Mentor software engineers from diverse backgrounds to nurture a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, and engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns and industry best practices.
- Engage in code reviews helping maintain our coding standards.
Drive Large-scale Projects
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members from Product, Design, Program Management in order to deliver against quarterly and annual roadmap objectives.
- Handle planning and breaking down large projects into milestones and identifying risks and dependencies.
- Experience in building scalable backend framework that supports a rapid growing user base
- 8+ years of software development experience
- Experience building Python or Java based backend framework at scale
- Experience with designing RESTful API
- Experience with working on service oriented architecture and RPC design
- Experience with concurrency and parallelism in Python and/or Java
- Experience with data modeling and at least one database engine (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, MongoDB, Cassandra, etc.)
- Experience with developing secure API endpoints
- Deep understanding of HTTP, TCP, SSL in API context
- Ability to own and deliver end to end API functionality from design/architect, to implementation, to testing, to production release and monitoring
- Ability to accomplish complex engineering task independently
- Ability to manage complex cross team coordinations and work closely with product owners
- Ability to evaluate and communicate different engineering solutions and trade-offs
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering or in similar discipline years of work experience
- Experience working with gRPC and designing microservices from ground up
- Solid understanding of clean software design principles
- Github project(s) or contribute to open source communities
- Worked in a Test Driven Development environment before
- Experience in building secure consumer facing APIs
- Diverse knowledge of other programming languages and frameworks
- Continuous build experience in an Agile Environment
- Experience leading backend development and engineering
Please note: This is a full-time position that will be remote initially (due to COVID-19) and based in our New York City HQ once it is safe to re-open the office.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.