The Tooling Engineer (Metal) is responsible for optimizing the tooling development from tooling design to production sustaining with ODMs(Original Design Manufacturer) and CMs (Contract Manufacturers) with consideration in both throughput and quality, while also advising on optimizing part & assembly design for manufacturing (DFM) with internal design and engineering team. The ideal candidate should have hands-on experience with stamping tool design and/or tool making and trouble shooting. Experienced with progressive dies, stage dies, transfer dies, tool steel selection, deep draw, high speed stamping, forging, surface coating and heat treating.
In order to support quality delivery of the product, the Tooling Engineer will also draft tooling supplier requirement and maintenance plan based on product demand and design requirement, collect tooling information for asset database, participate tool trial activities, and conduct supplier capability audits for tooling quality, fabrication process control, development technical support, and production maintenance and record keeping.
For long term company growth, the Tooling Engineer should also contribute to the building of simulation model for mold and part costs, knowledge library for advanced material and fabrication, and tooling input for product design requirement.
The Tooling Engineer will also provide day-to-day technical support for internal teams and CMs/ODMs, including engineering changes implementation on tooling, part availability tracking and schedule discussion, cost reduction and continuous improvement in both quality and takt time, hands-on implementation of the improvements on the manufacturing floor.
- Collaborate with cross-functional engineering teams to ensure robust DFM/DFA, providing expertise in material & process selection, tooling design and material requirement, process audit and tooling qualification plan
- Participate in early development phase vendor capability evaluation, technical discussion of part fabrication, manufacturing process required to meet cosmetic and functional requirement
- Ensure tooling efficiency (cost/quality) and performs cost estimate with supporting evidence for Capital Expenditure planning and management approval
- Tooling design (drawing) validation, including continuous supplier/tool maker discussion and CAE simulation to trouble-shoot
- Collaborate with Quality team to define part requirement in inspection and technical support for PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)
- Work with ODMs and CMs to provide engineering support in problem solving and root cause analysis that are tooling related, then understand and refine technical requirements for products and processes for future and on-going productions
- Create and manage tooling maintenance requirements at vendor site. Conduct tooling audits to confirm quality of maintenance as needed
- Partner with Peloton Supply Chain to identify, analyze, and qualify new suppliers.
- Analyze factory capacity and capability through conducting supplier audit on site, work with supplier to recommend equipment purchases, performs financial payback analysis, and submits Capital Expenditure requests to management
- Research and recommend new applications for existing materials, products, and processes to provide revenue growth opportunities for Peloton
- Voice of Peloton manufacturing on cross-functional teams.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- This position is primarily located in Taichung, Taiwan, and also requires travel internationally. Candidates must be willing to travel 30% or more as needed by the business.
- Four-year college degree in an Engineering discipline is required. Mechanical or Manufacturing is preferred.
- 5 or more years of engineering experience in a hands-on manufacturing environment is required (NPI to volume MFG stage)
- Knowledge of production process design, jig & fixture design, key dimension control, material knowledge for different application and testing requirement
- Experience in fabrication processes - Injection molding, CNC machining, complex assembly, welding, sheet metal processing, die casting, surface finishing for both metal and plastics, post fabrication processes like heat treating, plating, anodizing etc
- Microsoft Office applications, CAD (SolidWorks preferred)/CAE(Autodesk Moldflow preferred)
- Interpret engineering drawings, tolerances, GD&T
- Value-Stream Mapping, Process Mapping, Kaizen, Lean, 5S, Statistical Process Control
Peloton is the largest interactive fitness platform in the world with a loyal community of more than 3 million Members. The company pioneered connected, technology-enabled fitness, and the streaming of immersive, instructor-led boutique classes for its Members anytime, anywhere. Peloton makes fitness entertaining, approachable, effective, and convenient, while fostering social connections that encourage its Members to be the best versions of themselves. An innovator at the nexus of fitness, technology, and media, Peloton has reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform that seamlessly combines the best equipment, proprietary networked software, and world-class streaming digital fitness and wellness content, creating a product that its Members love. The brand's immersive content is accessible through the Peloton Bike, Peloton Tread, and Peloton App, which allows access to a full slate of fitness classes across disciplines, on any iOS or Android device, Fire TV, Roku, Chromecast and Android TV. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City, Peloton has a growing number of retail showrooms across the US, UK, Canada and Germany. For more information, visit www.onepeloton.com.