The Leaderboard Engineering team is responsible for the core leaderboard experience when someone takes a Peloton class. The leaderboard shows a person’s real time ranking or presence in the class. It is one of the most heavily used features and serves some of the largest traffic within the Peloton system.
The team is innovating on new and improved user experiences and tackling some of the most challenging problems at scale facing Peloton. We are looking for an experienced engineering manager who is passionate about and has a track record of building scalable distributed applications to join this team.
- Evolve Leaderboard product and technical roadmap and drive for its execution.
- Manage and grow a team of software engineers responsible for developing and improving Peloton’s leaderboard system.
- Establish processes to effectively improve engineering and operational excellence.
- Identify and drive the adoption of new technologies, architecture and skill sets for the team to take on new challenges.
- Partner closely with Recruiting to effectively identify and hire strong software engineers.
- Motivate and drive a continuous performance-based culture within the team. Provide adequate management support for the team in the form of team meetings, 1:1’s and other forums as needed to support the group and individual development objectives of team members.
- Coach and mentor software engineers. Foster their career growth through setting objectives, regular feedback, and sharing best practices.
- Lead by example to actively maintain and build a culture of learning, respect, transparency, and trust.
- Collaborate cross functionally with Engineering, Product, Product Research, Design, Program Management, and others to develop short- and long-term roadmaps and execution plans.
- Handle planning and breaking down large projects; Manage program and project risks appropriately; Identify and mitigate internal and cross-functional dependencies and blockers.
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders
- Drive technical decision making through objectively assessing trade offs based on architecture, scope, business priorities, and impacts to product experience.
- Leverage a strong technical foundation and experience to provide appropriate guidance in a team of senior and staff software engineers.
- 3+ years of hands-on technical management experience.
- 8+ years of relevant software development experience. Demonstrable experience in having improved reliability and scalability of high traffic applications.
- Experience in and good understanding of large scale and highly performant distributed systems architecture and principles as it relates to request processing, caching, storage, partitioning, and replication.
- Experience setting a strong vision and roadmap for the team; Actively involved in setting team’s long term goals and execution plans.
- Familiarity with CI/CD and how to incorporate test automation into development workflows.
- Experience working with Agile methodology and delivery of quality software as part of an Agile team.
- Demonstrable experience shipping several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
- Ability to mediate between competing product and technical priorities; align priorities and goals through collaboration with technical leads and product managers.
- Experience with coaching and mentoring software engineers at different stages in their career, including senior and staff level engineers. Able to demonstrate the ability to identify the strength and weaknesses of individuals in order to maximize team effectiveness.
- Experience hiring talented engineers at different levels.
Please note: This is a full-time position that will be remote initially (due to COVID-19) and based in our New York City HQ once safe to re-open the office.
Peloton is the largest interactive fitness platform in the world with a loyal community of more than 3 million Members. The company pioneered connected, technology-enabled fitness, and the streaming of immersive, instructor-led boutique classes for its Members anytime, anywhere. Peloton makes fitness entertaining, approachable, effective, and convenient, while fostering social connections that encourage its Members to be the best versions of themselves. An innovator at the nexus of fitness, technology, and media, Peloton has reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform that seamlessly combines the best equipment, proprietary networked software, and world-class streaming digital fitness and wellness content, creating a product that its Members love. The brand's immersive content is accessible through the Peloton Bike, Peloton Tread, Peloton Bike+, Peloton Tread+, and Peloton App, which allows access to a full slate of fitness classes across disciplines, on any iOS or Android device, Apple TV, Fire TV, Roku TVs, and Chromecast and Android TV. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City, Peloton has a growing number of retail showrooms across the US, UK, Canada and Germany. For more information, visit www.onepeloton.com.