Peloton is seeking a Senior Director, UI Design to to support the innovation, iteration, and optimization of our Bike, Tread, and Digital apps, as well as the development of future Peloton products.
This role sits on the Product Design & UX team, and works closely with the other roles on the team (UX Design, Product Design Ops, User Research, and UX Prototype Engineering) and their respective leaders as well as other Peloton teams including Product Management, Industrial Design, Engineering, Brand Creative, Content Production et. al.
This role is the first of its kind at Peloton. It will lead the UI Design team responsible for the visual design of Peloton’s product software platforms and features. The Senior Director, UI Design will be responsible for managing the existing team (which is currently 8 FT UI Designers) and for scaling the team through recruiting and hiring.This role will drive our visual standards, styles, elements, and systems, and ensure consistency and holism in the design of our software products.
Notably, this role and team focuses heavily on aesthetics and interaction: ensuring the look and feel of Peloton software for all Peloton Members across different platforms and screens is of the utmost quality and in line with the Peloton brand; and with special care taken to ensure usability, legibility, visual hierarchy, and accessibility. It collaborates heavily with other specialized roles that hold the baton at other stages in the process: notably Product Management (that defines the strategic roadmap, defines features, and prioritizes work) and UX (that defines functionality, user flows, edge cases and states, and generally “how features work”).
This role reports directly to the VP of Product Design & UX.
- Lead the UI Design team at Peloton.
- Provide mentorship and help develop individuals on the UI Design team.
- Work to unblock UI Design team members and provide support in removing impediments and distractions.
- Shepherd and support UI Designers on larger and/or higher profile projects as needed. While not responsible for executing design, the relatively small team may need you to jump in and get hands on occasionally.
- Give feedback to UI Designers at various project stages (concepts, development of systems and elements, execution of screens, creation of animations and iconography, packaging and organizing files, UAT, et. al.) in design reviews, team critiques, and 1:1s to improve the output, efficiency, and quality of their UI execution and deliverables.
- Help guide UI Designers’ near and long-term planning of projects, and guide the design process – e.g. helping them to understand when to diverge and explore vs. converge on a solution.
- Evangelize the importance of quality UI execution and visual branding in Peloton’s software.
- Work with senior members of the UI Design team to build, evolve, and document Peloton’s UI Design systems to improve visual aesthetics and streamline designer onboarding, feature design, and dev implementation.
- Work with Design Ops and UI Designers to organize design files and artifacts, and component and iconography libraries. And ensure at scale that all the teams work is preserved, transferable, and up to date.
- Evolve Peloton’s UI Design processes and tools.
- Ensure that Peloton’s features are designed with accessibility and inclusion top of mind; and embed this approach into our design process for scale.
- Work with VP of Product Design and UX and other Product leadership to build a 5-year vision of the UI Design team.
- Build a world class UI Design team and scale the group 2x-4x in the next 24 months.
- Own the budget allocation for the UI Design team. Project and allocate funds.
- Develop the UI Design team’s brand in and outside of Peloton.
- Understand the full picture of all UI Design asks to develop a forward looking, prioritized 3-6 month plan in collaboration with Product Design Ops.
- Allocate UI Design resources from your understanding on previous projects and team member skill sets and affinities.
- Collaborate with other visual design teams at Peloton (specifically the marketing creative team) to execute on feature launches, content, and engagement campaign launches.
- Work with Peloton’s Content and Production team at Peloton to understand content framing and thumbnail design, and ensure the way that content is shot fits aesthetically and functionally with the UI and it’s “safe” areas across platforms.
- Work with Peloton’s Product Engineering team to improve the interplay between design and engineering execution.
- Continuously collaborate with other Product and Design roles (UX, Prototype Engineering, Research, and Product Management) and look for ways to improve cross-team processes.
- Distinctly visually minded.
- Balances refined aesthetics with a strong understanding of software interfaces and UX.
- Has a user-centered approach to product design.
- Comfortable juggling a wide range of responsibilities at the same time.
- Has a collaborative, low-ego approach to working with others.
- Has a systematic, component and style based approach to UI design that ensures consistency (while not being afraid to depart from existing components when needed.)
- Process driven, but flexible to unique scenarios, projects, and personnel.
- Incredible attention to detail and meticulous organization
- Continually looking to optimize and improve UI design output.
- Balances direction with empowerment.
- Can lead team members with a variety of working styles
- Quickly adapts to unexpected changes in scale, priorities, and pace.
- Thrives in uncertainty and can excel in the “first of the role” environment; self-starter.
- Experienced in planning, building, mentoring, and developing a UI Design team.
- Experienced in attracting and hiring UI Design talent.
- Experienced with a variety of UI design subdisciplines and deliverables including style guides, UI kit, and design system development; animation; rendering; illustration; iconography; typography.
- Experience in designing for accessibility and inclusivity.
- Experienced in working with user researchers, UX designers, copywriters, engineers and product managers to drive strategy, vision, and execution.
- 8+ years of experience in UI/Product Design including:
- Recent experience in a product development setting within a consumer tech and software company.
- 5+ years managing UI Design teams, including at least 2+ years managing teams of 5 or more.
- A portfolio of relevant UI Design work, executed either by yourself or a team that you led, that conveys an ability to drive a systems-based visual design style into highly usable and highly functional applications.
- Bonus Qualifications:
- Experience managing a UI Design team that completed projects on:
- Integrated hardware/software consumer products.
- Content/media–based products
- Localized products across international markets.
- Mixed-interaction software applications (touch, remote, mouse and keyboard) and mixed-platform and screen sizes.
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy and benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience and comfort of home. We use technology and design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, and Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, and we know that together, we go far.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices, warehouses and retail showrooms in the US, UK and Canada, Peloton is changing the way people get fit. Peloton has been named to many prestigious industry lists, including Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, CNBC's Disruptor 50, Crain's New York Business' Tech25 and Fast50, as well as TIME's Genius Companies. Visit www.onepeloton.com/careers to learn more about joining our team.
“Together We Go Far” means that we are greater than the sum of our parts, stronger collectively when each one of us is at our best. In order to be the best version of Peloton, we are deeply committed to building a diverse workforce and inclusive culture where all of our team members can be the best version of themselves. This work has no endpoint; it is the constant work of running an organization that strives to reach its full potential. As a first step in our commitment, we announced the Peloton Pledge to invest $100 million over the next four years to fight racial injustice and inequity in our world, and to promote health and wellbeing for all, from the inside out.