Peloton is looking for a self-motivated, dynamic employment attorney with 6+ years of experience at a top law firm or in-house practice to join our growing legal team. As Employment Counsel, you will be primarily responsible for supporting our People (HR) team and other internal clients across all locations and departments on a wide variety of matters that arise within our workforce. As the first employment specialist on our Legal team, you will help us shape the company’s culture and grow responsibly as we scale our workforce up from the roughly 2,000 employees today in retail, warehouse, studio, and office locations across the world.
- Serve as the first point of contact from the Legal team to advise on a broad spectrum of employment law matters, including recruitment, employee relations, performance management, leaves of absence and accommodation, wage and hour issues, internal investigations, compensation and benefits, and immigration.
- Work closely with the People team and managers of other business lines to support their objectives and counsel them on legal risks related to employment policies and decisions.
- Draft, implement, and maintain template documents and procedures for employment matters that arise anywhere in the world where Peloton has employees (e.g., performance improvement plans, disciplinary and investigation procedures, employee handbooks); assist with internal investigations as needed.
- Negotiate and manage employment-related contracts (e.g., talent and employment agreements, separation agreements, recruiter agreements, employee management platforms), and report to Peloton’s senior team on general risk management matters related to our workforce.
- Assist with employment diligence in connection with potential business acquisitions, and support post-acquisition integration activities for completed transactions.
- Keep current on developments in employment law and evolving best practices; maintain strong relationships with cross-functional stakeholders to provide training and updates as needed.
- Assist in managing outside counsel on employment matters, including local counsel in non-US jurisdictions, to handle employment and immigration issues across our offices.
- 6+ years’ experience at a top law firm employment practice, secondment or in-house experience a plus
- Working knowledge of all aspects of employment law, including wage and hour and FLSA exemption issues, matters relating to discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, workplace investigations and documentation, disability, FMLA, restrictive covenants, and whistleblowing protections
- Experience with employment law in any of our non-US jurisdictions (currently the United Kingdom, Canada, Germany and Taiwan) is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to simplify complicated legal concepts into “plain English” for your business partners
- Strong business acumen and a creative problem solver
- Must be an independent and strategic thinker who is a strong team player (no job is too small or too large) and willing to take on additional responsibilities
- Superb organizational skills
- Enjoy working in a fast-growing, disruptive business
- Experience in supporting a broad and varied employee base
- Member in good standing of the NY or CA Bar
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy and benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience and comfort of home. We use technology and design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, and Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, and we know that together, we go far.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices, warehouses and retail showrooms in the US, UK and Canada, Peloton is changing the way people get fit. Peloton has been named to many prestigious industry lists, including Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, CNBC's Disruptor 50, Crain's New York Business' Tech25 and Fast50, as well as TIME's Genius Companies. Visit www.onepeloton.com/careers to learn more about joining our team.