Our e-commerce engineering team builds software to support our partners throughout the business, including sales, marketing, support, accounting, logistics, operations, and studio.
We are looking for motivated and proactive engineering managers with a strong technical background, experience leading engineering teams, proven leadership skills, a love for working with people, and a track record of delivering high-quality software.
In This Role, You Will:
Cultivate a deep understanding of day-to-day e-commerce domain expertise while working on a cross-functional agile team, collaborating closely with engineers, product managers, and designers, focusing on delivering value to our members, while building out our in-house e-commerce platform.
- Actively maintain and build a culture of learning, respect, transparency, and trust.
- Staff and lead a cross-functional, full-stack engineering team responsible for the architecture and performance of our e-commerce applications.
- Motivate, lead, coach, and mentor software engineers.
- Participate and drive initiatives relating to people management including recruiting, onboarding, performance reviews, career advancement, training, etc.
- Drive technical initiatives to build clean, robust, maintainable, and performant systems.
- Improve processes and collaboration within the team and across groups.
- Crafting a thoughtful, long-term technical strategy that anticipates future needs.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members from Product, Design, Program Management and UX in order to deliver against quarterly and annual roadmap objectives
- Active engagement in technical discussions during architecture meetings, code reviews, and design docs to help promote a culture of learning and constant improvement.
- Achieve on-time delivery while defending the integrity of the codebase, never compromising on code quality.
- Establish a relationship with business stakeholders.
- Motivate and drive a continuous performance-based culture within the team. Provide adequate management support for the team in the form of team meetings, 1:1’s and other forums as needed to support the group and individual development objectives of team members.
- Establish team level KPIs to measure the effectiveness of your team and impact on acquisition metrics.
- Instill a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, and engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns and industry best practices.
- Identify cross-functional dependencies and remove blockers when needed across engineering, design, and product management.
- Work closely with technical program managers to ensure the successful delivery of projects.
- Be able to get your hands dirty and contribute technically to projects and the codebase.
- Ability to say NO, respectfully challenge ideas, and call out potential trade-offs.
- Become a domain expert in e-commerce by working closely with our product managers and stakeholders.
- ~5+ years of software development experience in development. Demonstrable experience in having deployed applications commercially into production.
- ~4+ years of leadership experience in technology management.
- Ability to empathize with your engineers, customers, members, and stakeholders.
- Passionate about technology, new ideas, and always willing to learn new things.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- A love for clean, elegant code.
- Deep understanding of agile, lean, and DevOps principles.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Familiarity with modern tech stacks and frameworks.
- Experience delivering products collaborating and partnering with Product, Design, UX teams.
- Ability to mediate between competing product and technical priorities; align priorities and goals through collaboration with technical leads and product managers.
- Capacity to work in high growth, fast-paced environments and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities.
- Effectively communicate between teams and within teams in order to drive alignment and increase effectiveness on delivery.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Acute attention to detail and dedication to quality.
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Enjoy tech talks, katas, lunch and learns, and geeking over programming languages, architecture, category theory, or whatever engineering topic you are passionate about.
- Experience working within e-commerce and third-party payment gateways.
- Attend meetups, conferences, and participate in the software engineering community.
- Contribute to open-source projects.
- Experience migrating a monolithic system to an ecosystem of microservices.
- Have tried Test-Driven Development (TDD).
- Experience with or knowledge of DDD, CQRS and Event Sourcing.
- Worked on a system that had to deal with internationalization and localization.
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy and benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience and comfort of home. We use technology and design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, and Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, and we know that together, we go far.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices, warehouses and retail showrooms in the US, UK and Canada, Peloton is changing the way people get fit. Peloton has been named to many prestigious industry lists, including Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, CNBC's Disruptor 50, Crain's New York Business' Tech25 and Fast50, as well as TIME's Genius Companies. Visit www.onepeloton.com/careers to learn more about joining our team.