Who we are...
Pearl Health is restoring the independence and joy of practicing medicine for doctors in the United States. Our healthcare system has burdened our doctors with too much process, while removing them from what they do best: caring for those we love most. We launched Pearl Health because we believe primary care providers, armed with the proper tools and resources, can have an outsized impact in achieving high-quality, affordable healthcare. We foresee a shift to an increasingly value-based future where physicians and provider groups will participate in the value they create for the healthcare system and will increasingly require proper tooling, information systems, capital support, and technology to succeed in these models.
We are a team of physicians (Groups), practice-enablement experts (VillageMD, Steward, Stellar), technologists (athenahealth, TrialSpark, Flatiron Health) and health plan leaders (Oscar, Clover, Centivo) who believe that primary care providers (PCPs) are the key to the United States' future health. Today, we support over 100 providers in value-based Medicare models and are on track to substantially increase the Medicare population we will be responsible for managing with our physician partners for 2023 (+$300M of Medicare benchmark risk). Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz and AlleyCorp.
What we hope you can do...
We are seeking a passionate engineer with a track record of methodically and creatively adding value to both the business and their organization in a strategic and caring way. Your work will be a core asset of our company, allowing us to more efficiently provide better care to our members and to create novel financial arrangements for each of our aligned physicians.
Apart from being a strategic and analytical thinker, you should also be an effective communicator, an expert in the domains and systems that you have built, comfortable working with other experts on complicated risk analyses and operational flows, and be willing to directly dig in yourself as we expand our internal resources.
We are looking for strong engineers in many areas: data and data infrastructure, full-stack web application development, front-end wizards, as well as machine learning and natural language processing specialists. You should be a deeply curious individual, and have demonstrated continuous effort to satisfy that curiosity, through research, tinkering, organizing, and teaching.
What a Senior Software Engineer means to us...
- Internalize the company’s goals and vision, understanding critical and minimal needs, foreseeing potential needs, and coming up with solutions that fit the context.
- Help us change the future of work for doctors in the United States by applying state of the art technology solutions, including data API development, modern integration patterns, frameworks for building beautiful, responsive applications, machine learning, natural language processing, and explicable AI - in partnership with key partners.
- Support all business lines, including sales and business development, by enabling those teams while balancing competing goals, and making difficult trade-offs when required.
- Partner effectively with Product, User Experience, Growth, and Operations toward building best-in-class systems to give our physician partners insight into their patient panels.
- Support the technology needs of various departments by creating a data-literate ecosystem, and helping the wider organization understand how the technology helps them and how to think about their initiatives in terms of our capabilities.
- Be a leader, taking initiative and ownership as needed, and connecting across the organization to come up with the best solutions that combine people, process, and software.
Who you are…
- Working with team members with a diverse background is important to you, and you value and thrive being exposed to different perspectives.
- 8+ years of experience in performing results-driven development in a collaborative environment.
- Preferably, have a degree in computer science, engineering, applied math or a related field; or have demonstrated significant growth and impact as an engineer, regardless of your education.
- Have led small teams or pods, either in a technical or managerial capacity.
- Experienced investing time before building to ensure you come up with a pragmatic design that has buy-in, and where you are able to best use your teammates’ strengths and feedback.
- A proven ability to conduct research and internalize user needs, in partnership with Product and User Experience.
- Able to adjust the level of specificity and context for different audiences, either in the interest of achieving common goals efficiently or to educate others.
- Thoughtful collaborator, with a deep appreciation for systems design, and a passion for building amazing and powerful experiences while knowing the tradeoffs of moving quickly and getting things working vs. going deep and perfecting a product for the long-term.
- Have experience in highly regulated environments, and be mindful about privacy and security of our customers’ data.
- Healthcare or insurance or fintech experience is preferred, but tell us why you are passionate about our mission.
- For data engineers - experience in Python, relational databases and data warehouses, business intelligence tools, containers, cloud platforms, command line scripting is desirable.
- For web back-end engineers - experience in Python, relational databases, cloud platforms is desirable.
- A plus - not afraid to dive into devops as needed and help us iterate on an efficient build/deploy process and a solid infrastructure.
- Experience with startups is not necessary, but you should be looking forward to bringing order, power, and role definition to an initial blank slate.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and our employees are people with different strengths, experiences and backgrounds, who share a passion for improving people's lives. Our definition of diversity not only includes race and gender identity, but also age, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, religion and many other parts of one’s identity. We believe all of our colleague’s points of view are integral to our success, and that inclusion is everyone's responsibility and a driver of beautiful and meaningful outcomes.
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and are commited to a fair hiring process free from discrimination and focused around problem solving, improvement, and mutual empowerment.
We are a remote-first company, with concentrations of team members at our NYC headquarters and in the Boston area. While the world is in lockdown, we’re all working remotely, but hope to facilitate more in-person time as the Covid situation improves. We expect a large part of our workforce to remain remote after the pandemic ends.
If a resume is submitted to any Pearl Health employee by a third party without a valid written and signed search agreement, it will become the property of Pearl Health and no fee will be paid, irrespective of whether the candidate is hired.
Compensation and Benefits
The expected base pay range for this position is between $130,000 and $180,000 per year. Base pay is one component of Pearl's total compensation package, which also includes access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, possible equity options, and much more. Please visit our benefits page for more information: https://pearlhealth.com/our-benefits/