PEAK6 is a leading investment firm headquartered in Chicago. More than 20 years ago, we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology in our trading business. Today, we leverage our technical ingenuity and operational ability across several investment areas. We cover everything, spanning from early- to mid-stage growth capital, operational control, trading, and sports management while lending an eye and providing value to the customer. Over the years, we have built and operated several leading financial technology firms. The list includes OptionsHouse (sold to General Atlantic in 2014). Today, our team consists of a digital wealth clearinghouse, an outsource provider of flood insurance, a Premier League soccer team, a crypto currency brokerage, a value investment arm, an incubation lab, and more.
This role is based out of Chicago.
What you’ll do all day:
- Work with internal and external partners to ensure the proper operation of the new PEAK6 platform.
- Think through hard problems and solve them at all layers of the enterprise
- Automate tasks to drive consistency, reduce complexity and eliminate human involvement where ever possible
- Design and implement front-end systems to empower users to configure, deploy, and control their own production processes and pipelines
- Ensure that systems are properly monitored
- Ensure systems are documented and can be easily maintained by all team members
- Ensure disaster recovery solutions are in place, tested and well documented
- Work as a part of small, productive development team that puts an emphasis on code quality, peer reviews and strong engineering practices
What you need to succeed:
- A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other demanding engineering degree (or equivalent work experience)
- At least three years of professional experience working as a part of a multi-person engineering team that utilizes cloud based technologies, CI pipelines and peer reviews
- Experience with major aspects of cloud computing, like storage, backups, compute resources, autoscaling concerns
- Experience in Kubernetes and running Kubernetes in the cloud
- Demonstrated ability to work with a distributed team
- Ability to learn new and unfamiliar technologies quickly, as required
- Strong understanding of VPCs and general networking configurations that go along with having hybrid on-prem and cloud solutions
- Experience in using configuration management tools such as Ansible and Terraform
- Experience with monitoring stacks such as ELK or others