Experience: Undergrad Sophomores up to Masters’ students
Education: Currently pursuing Bachelor's or Master's degree in a rigorous Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other highly-technical field of
Position Type: 10 Weeks
PDT Partners – a quantitative investment manager - is seeking talented students for internships focused on Platform Engineering (systems, network engineering, DevOps, infosec, container orchestration, etc.). Our custom-designed program enables students to contribute to our technology-critical, algorithmic trading business while honing their technical skills.
Students will work closely with highly accessible and supportive senior engineers for every project. Mentors are deeply technical hands-on engineers who provide guidance during the project, and they are available for design sessions, discussions, and learning throughout the program.
The program's social events - PDT summer picnic, movie nights, ice cream social, bowling night, Yankees/Mets games, board game nights, food-centric activities, and access to variety of affinity groups all provide excellent opportunities to get to know our team. Even in the instance of a remote internship, we make sure to plan regular events to build a strong sense of camaraderie.
PDT is a fun and collaborative community of passionate engineers, science fiction fans, musicians, martial artists, extreme-sports enthusiasts, volunteers, and foodies who enjoy a non-hierarchical, professional environment. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and philanthropy are part of the fabric of our firm. Part of why we’re able to maintain our unique culture is because we’re committed to hiring kind people, maintaining a community that fosters a sense of belonging, and using our good fortune to help others outside of PDT.
- Faced problems that don't have well-defined solutions - creativity is essential to come up with the best possible answers, including ones that explore new technologies
- Learned about the infrastructure needed to support a quantitative trading business
- Gained experience with multicast market data distribution
- Analyzed the latency impact of network buffering
- Applied machine learning to log data sets into order to determine behavioral anomalies
- Automated the provisioning of cloud infrastructure, including compute, services, and storage
- Developed GitOps-driven configuration management for consistent global deployments at scale
- Added core components to our cloud-based Kubernetes infrastructure
- Analyze alternatives for audio and video conferencing
- Infrastructure automation with Python, PowerShell, etc.
Ideal candidates wish to learn more about or are already familiar with:
- Using software and automation to solve problems
- Distributed computing, including hybrid cloud architectures
- Operating Systems, including low-level performance tuning and analysis
- Global hybrid networking, including automated configuration and packet analysis
- Petascale storage systems
- Information security
- SaaS solution integration
Additional skills & attributes required
- Interest in working in a world-class, professional environment
- Smart, fast-learner, intellectually curious, problem-solving approach
- Can-do attitude, with sense of urgency
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Committed to improvement and keen to apply constructive feedback
- Excellent academic background from a rigorous and challenging computer science program
DISCLAIMER: This position requires that the job candidate be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Please note that an applicant will be considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose vaccine series (Pfizer or Moderna), or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine). PDT will consider requests for reasonable accommodations for documented medical reasons and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law. Please do not include proof of vaccine status or any indication of a possible request for an accommodation when submitting your application materials. If applicable, PDT will follow up with you directly to request proof of vaccination and to discuss any potential accommodations.