PDT, a quantitative investment manager, is hiring problem solvers who blend programming and applied research experience. Individuals in this role will devise, implement, evaluate, and iterate to create and improve statistical methods vetting them through direct application to enhancing our trading strategies. Applied ML scientists are expected to navigate quantitative and technical challenges within a project to advance our research methodology. They will have ample opportunity to collaborate with our deep bench of senior researchers and technologists.
PDTers are creative, energetic, friendly, entrepreneurial, and collaborative. If you could walk around our office, you’d see that we’re a focused, intent, and nimble company with none of the attitude and bureaucracy of a stereotypical Wall Street trading firm. We love to work on challenging and complicated problems, that in return give a chance to make outsized, direct impact on our bottom line. For the right talent, there is fantastic growth potential.
At PDT, we recognize that certain research directions require both engineering and analytical know-how to execute. As such, we are looking for a motivated individual that have experience in both software engineering as well as experience in machine learning, statistical modeling, mathematics, or a related field.
- Collaborate with senior researchers and technologists to investigate novel research ideas, evaluate them with large-scale experiments on a HPC grid.
- Over time independently originate, test, develop, and own research projects and methodology.
- Contribute to both our research models and technology stack.
Why join us? PDT Partners has a 28+ year track record and a reputation for excellence. Our goal is to be the best quantitative investment manager in the world—measured by the quality of our products, not their size. PDT’s very high employee-retention rate speaks for itself. Our people are intellectually extraordinary and our community is close-knit, down-to-earth, and diverse.
Below is a list of skills and experiences we think are relevant. Even if you don’t think you’re a perfect match, we still encourage you to apply because we are committed to developing our people.
- Ability to generate and execute on research ideas
- Exceptional programming skills
- Knowledge of trading and finance isn’t required
- Masters (or equivalent experience) in machine learning, computer science, statistics, or a related field
- PhD (or equivalent experience)
- 5+ years of applied machine learning research experience
- Strong publication record
- Experience with the Python scientific stack
The salary range for this role is between $160,000 and $225,000. This range is not inclusive of any potential bonus amounts. Factors that may impact the agreed upon salary within the range for a particular candidate include years of experience, level of education obtained, skill set, and other external factors.