Role: Director of Engineering
Company: PayU Payments Pvt Ltd
PayU, the fintech-arm of Naspers, is a leading financial services provider in global growth markets. We use our expertise and heritage in cross border and local payments to extend the services we offer to merchants and consumers. Our innovative technology, developed in-house as well as through investments and strategic partnerships, empowers billions of people and millions of merchants to buy and sell online, extending the reach of financial services.
Our local operations span 18 growth markets across Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa. Here we deliver fast, simple and efficient financial services technology that unlocks access to more than 2.3 billion consumers in our regions.
Regulated under the Reserve Bank of India, PayU India has advanced solutions to meet every digital payments need. The company has an in-depth understanding of the vast and intricate details of the Indian market and its payment landscape. The company brings convenience and trust through continuous innovation leveraging technology.
PayU India forays into two business verticals - payment offerings under PayU Payments Services Ltd. and alternate lending under PayU Finance. Headquartered in Sohna Road, Gurgaon, the company has a presence in Mumbai, Pune and Bangalore and has a total strength of 700+ employees. Anirban Mukherjee is the CEO for PayU India working with the global CEO Laurent Le Moal.
Under the aegis of PayU Payments Services Ltd., PayU provides payment gateway solutions to online businesses through its cutting-edge and award-winning technology. In India, PayU covers nearly 60% of the airline business and 90% of the entire e-commerce business and processes over INR 120,000 crores worth of digital payments annually (at current run rates). The company offers more than 70 local payment methods and serves more than 350,000 merchants including leading e-commerce businesses in India. The company also empowers SMBs, enabling them to accept mobile and online payments with minimum development effort.
With credit being the key business priority, PayU has also developed LazyPay, an alternate lending platform to offer credit solutions such as Small Ticket Credit (Buy Now, Pay Later), App based personal loans and Point of Sale Credit (Merchant EMI). Since its launch in 2017, LazyPay has gained significant traction and has disbursed 20mn+ loans to a customer base of more than a million users.
PayU is bullish on investment opportunities in India. The company has been an aggressive investor, committed to the evolution of fintech in the country. PayU has spent about $250 million over the past three years in Asia's third-largest economy and is further scouting for more lucrative investment and acquisition opportunities to fuel growth.
PayU’s acquisitions in India include that of Wibmo (April 2019 worth $70 mn) and Citrus Payment Solutions (September 2016 for $130 mn). PayU has also invested in PaySense (July 2018) and ZestMoney (December 2016) in India.
Role and Background Information:
- Guide engineering managers to arrive at optimal team structure and composition. Ensure that the engineers are motivated towards work and are at their optimal productivity level.
- Collaborate & work closely with Product & Business teams. Understand the short term and long term needs of the business and plan ahead for any resourcing needs or tech investments.
- Help prioritise the goals for the functional unit within the organisation. Set both short term and long term goals for the teams individually and together.
- Work with other Engineering leaders & contribute positively to engineering practices and standards within the company. Unlock opportunities for achieving engineering efficiency across the organisational units.
- Be responsible for growing engineering managers and individual contributors in your team. Provide constant and constructive feedback to the managers and leads.
- Promote the top performers, offer them opportunities to grow, ensure they are prepared for bigger roles.
- Be a role model for all the engineering managers and team leads in your team.
- Provide guidance on system architecture & implementation approaches.
- Prioritise the tech projects and tasks as per the business needs while paying due consideration to tech debt.
- Help ensure that the best practices laid out by the tech organisation are followed by the teams. Champion these best practices amongst the engineers.
- Budget for and make optimal technology investments for software and services.
- Coordinate and direct project plans while ensuring that the plans meet business objectives.
- Experience leading more than a few engineering teams.
- Experience in preparing accurate reports, making articulate presentations to the top management.
- Experience in hiring engineers, building team and nurturing teams to help them perform at their best
- Excellent at communicating with both tech and non-tech coworkers.
- Experience in planning & delivering significantly challenging engineering projects.
- Demonstrated ability to handle cross functional requirements in projects.
- Experience with implementation of high velocity, high scale engineering products.
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals and computer systems.
- Strong understanding of modern technology architecture, software systems such as message queues, event based systems, RDBMS, distributed storage.
- Ability to communicate complex technology details in simplified language to key stakeholders and other non-tech audience