The kind of person we are looking for:
We are seeking an Infrastructure Engineer to join our growing team of top technology professionals in our office in Newton to help our migration towards an automation first priority. As part of the IT Operations team, you share responsibility for the design, development, provisioning, installation, configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software, as well as related infrastructure environments. Additionally, you will work with software developers, infrastructure administrators, and enterprise architects to plan, implement, and maintain software solutions and systems architecture technologies that run our products and services.
Our company has an open, relaxed, and friendly environment where you’ll get to work with people serious about the work they do, but always appreciate a great sense of humor. We trust our employees, so you’ll be given a fair amount of latitude with, and ownership for your own time.
The kind of stuff you’ll be doing:
- Participate in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Provide Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Provide occasional after-hours response.
- Given our small operations team, you are expected to serve as a core member of the broader team and assist with operational responsibilities as needed, including:
- Provide direct server support during application deployments and production operations
- Leverage automation and configuration tools to install software, updates, OS upgrades, and provision servers
- Perform system and service monitoring to ensure they are healthy and available
- Participate in application development release management cycles
Participate in hardware installation, upgrades, and maintenance
- Participate in network topology design, configuration, and support
- Assist with office IT management as needed
- This is an on-call position with an expectation to participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation
The kind of experience you’ll need:
- Familiarity with the theory and practice of Agile, CI/CD and DevOps.
- Virtualization platforms such as VMware or Hyper-V
- Enterprise backup/recovery, enterprise storage, and enterprise server solutions
- Familiarity with configuration management tools such as Ansible, Puppet, and Chef
- Cloud platforms, such as Azure, AWS, GCP, or similar
- Familiarity with infrastructure-as-code, and tools such as Terraform and CloudFormation
- System and application monitoring, such as Prometheus, DataDog, NewRelic, Nagios, Telegraf, LogicMonitor
- Windows Server and Linux ecosystems, including automation, provisioning, security, and general administration
- Switching, Routing, Firewalls, and SDN in a production environment
- Active Directory and Group Policy Management
- Demonstrated experience with a scripting language such as PowerShell or Python or other coding experience
- Knowledge of version control solutions such as Git, SVN, TFS, GitHub, BitBucket, or similar
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in zero downtime environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills, project management skills, and the ability to work independently as well as within a team environment.
The extra stuff that would be nice:
- CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, TeamCity, Octopus
- Docker, and orchestration suites such as Kubernetes, AKS/EKS/GKE
- HashiCorp Vault and Consul, or similar
- Experience with Agile/Scrum development methodology