Head of Compliance at Paystack
Paystack helps businesses in Africa get paid by anyone, from anywhere in the world. Over 50,000 businesses of all sizes use our modern payments platform to collect and disburse payments. Within 4 years, our close-knit team has introduced a steady cadence of innovations, such as automated recurring payments, automated chargebacks, and much more. We process over 50% of all online payments in Nigeria, and our investors include Visa, Stripe, and Tencent. We are based in Lagos, Nigeria, and we are rapidly expanding to other African countries.
About the Head of Compliance Role
You will develop a comprehensive regulatory compliance framework and be responsible for implementing and maintaining processes, systems and controls to ensure Paystack’s compliance across multiple jurisdictions.
The ideal candidate will come from “start-up” like environments, be mission-driven, a clear communicator with a solid background in the payments space.
The role is remote-friendly with frequent travel to Lagos, Nigeria, required. You will be reporting directly to the CEO.
What you’ll be doing
- Develop, implement and maintain a global framework of policies and procedures for managing and mitigating operational and compliance risks, in line with laws and regulations across multiple jurisdictions
- Design and implement relevant compliance processes including know your customer (KYC), anti-money laundering (AML), sanctions and combatting the financing of terrorism (CFT)
- Perform risk assessments to understand risk level, significance and scope to our operations
- Master a deep understanding of the rules and regulations governing each market in which we operate, including monitoring any changes and developments
- Oversee the gathering of internal information to meet external regulatory reporting obligations
- Supervise the fulfillment of all record keeping requirements
- Investigate irregularities and non-compliance issues
- Act as a point-of-contact for all employees on issues relating to money laundering, terrorist financing and receive reports on non-compliance with laws or company policies
- Compile regular reports on risk and compliance performance that can be shared with management or the board of directors so that issues can be rectified
- Support our product and market expansion initiatives by overseeing efforts to apply for new licenses where needed
- Ensure regular information dissemination and coordinate training across the company on compliance issues
- Review marketing materials, presentations and websites to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements
- Oversee any internal and external audits or regulatory examinations
- Manage third party vendor risk reviews and vendor due diligence
- Collaborate with other departments to create a culture of compliance across the company
What it takes to succeed
- 8+ years in a senior regulatory and compliance role
- Experience in payments/financial services
- Ability to develop deep relationships with regulators (Central Banks or other regulatory bodies) across multiple jurisdictions
- Excellent sense of judgment - able to help steer the company to balance innovation and growth with regulatory compliance
- Critical problem-solving skills
- Ability to thrive, adapt and embrace change in rapidly-changing regulatory environments
- Deep knowledge of global payments compliance regulation - PCI DSS, PSD2, GDPR, card scheme rules etc.
While this is not a requirement, it would be a plus if you have
- Master’s Degree in either economics/business/law (preferred)
- Relevant course, done through ICA (International Compliance Association)
- Experience in Nigeria (or Africa)
- ACAMS certification
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working environment
- Housing/car assistance
- Full medical coverage
- Pension contributions
Paystack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We’re committed to providing employees with a work environment that is progressive and open-minded. Our employment philosophy is to hire the best people and empower them to do the best work of their lives. Employment decisions are based on business needs and individual merit without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, nationality, marital status, gender or age.
Kindly submit your application before Sunday, February 23rd at 11:59 PM.
Application Instructions - Read carefully!
1. To apply, click the "Apply for this job" button
2. Complete all the required questions
Questions? Please contact email@example.com.