Paxful is the people-powered marketplace for money transfers with anyone, anywhere, at any time. Imagine a world where everyone has equal access to finance, no matter who they are, or where they’re from. We're building it. Our mission is to empower the forgotten four billion unbanked, so they have control of their money in a way they've never had before.
Working across three offices in different time zones, the Paxful team serves our amazing community of 4 million strong. We build for people, not profits, and consider ourselves to be everyday heroes who don’t wear capes or masks. That’s why we launched Built with Bitcoin, a charitable initiative that aims to build 100 schools, water facilities, and entrepreneurial incubators in emerging markets all over the world. We want to show that bitcoin can have a positive impact and make real changes in the lives of people everywhere.
We’re looking for an experienced and driven Deputy General Counsel to oversee general corporate legal matters and manage new product initiatives and projects. The ideal candidate is someone with expertise around cryptocurrency, regulatory areas (particularly money transmission regulations) and general Fintech startup issues.
This is a dynamic position that will report directly to our General Counsel and will play a critical role in working with our Product, Engineering & Growth teams. Paxful’s team embraces customer focus, tenacious problem-solving, collaboration, and the Deputy General Counsel will contribute to this culture while pushing us to innovate and do our best work.
What You’ll Do
- Evaluate proposed integration partnerships and provide legal guidance regarding related risks and mitigations
- Assist with the development and rollout of new product offerings
- Maintain responsibility for corporate governance (including board meetings), including the entity structure, capital structure, and compliance with all associated obligations
- Engage proactively with state and federal financial regulators with respect to our business and preview new product launches
- Collaborate with Compliance colleagues on policy and operational matters
- Participate in product and cross-functional initiative development throughout the life cycle of these initiatives
- Provide ideas and insights into how the company can work within the law to create amazing product experiences for its customers
- Manage relationships with external legal firms
- Assist and manage a team of international attorneys
Who You Are
- A self-starter with relevant in-house FinTech experience and an interest in the cryptocurrency space
- Interested in navigating an emerging regulatory environment, especially money services businesses
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, work cross-functionally and collaboratively, and deliver consistently high-quality work
- Excellent negotiation skills you’ve put into practice at either a big law firm or in a regulatory environment
- Fluency in translating legal advice into actionable guidance for innovative product, engineering, and business teams
- Strong organizational, prioritization, and project management skills
- Collaborative but with strong opinions of your own
- Excellent communicator (written and verbal skills)
What We’re Looking For
- 10+ years of broad-based professional U.S. legal experience with strong experience in financial services regulation and international operations
- Experience in a big law firm and/or in-house legal department plus legal experience in cryptocurrency, FinTech, or technology companies
- Experience advising clients on risk mitigation across technology product platforms
- Proven ability to counsel product, engineering and growth teams
- Ability to adapt prior experiences and knowledge to a new and ever changing environment
- Successful track record of supervising a high performing team
- Juris doctor from accredited law school and licensed to practice law in at least one US state
What We Offer
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits, flexible spending account, and 401(k) with 4% company matching
- Flexible working hours and generous paid time off
- Gym membership, massage, chiropractor, or other reimbursements (personal training, dance classes, etc.)
- Learning and development reimbursement (including online courses, certifications, conferences, seminars, etc.)
- One day a year to volunteer and serve your community
- Parental leave, including a one-time bonus to support a newborn, adoption, or foster placement
- Paxful’s COVID response: remote work, company-wide online events and weekly meal credits
Diversity & Inclusion at Paxful
At Paxful, we know that a diverse workforce fuels our individual and collective success. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We are actively working to increase the diversity of experience and perspectives on our team and are looking for someone who can help continue to lead that process.
EEOC and Accommodations
Paxful is committed to diversity in the workplace and we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not hire on basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law.
We’re also committed to providing accommodations to people with disabilities. If you need any kind of accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, you can reach out to email@example.com and let us know how we can best help you.
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and other privacy laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full Privacy Notice is available at https://paxful.com/privacy-notice. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.